Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage Containers

Re: Storage Containers

One thing to note is that those storage containers are almost impossible to break into. If you want to store some valuable items, the container is a good way to go.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

They are great for storage and security but any way you slice it they are ugly! Just my view but I think they look tacky no matter how good of shape they are in and how they are decorated or painted. Maybe I am biased against them because I see scores of them every time I go to work. They are stacked in storage yards, hauled up and down the highways on trucks, stacked several high on the ships in the ship channel and form endless lines on railcars that block my path in front of my job. I have considered buying one myself for storage use but I can't bring myself to do it because I just think it would look ugly and tacky sitting on my property.
    Chris

I think they're best suited for true temporary storage and nothing more. If you're building something and need somewhere to store tools and such during the process they're a great solution. For much of anything beyond that the 'ugly' factor creeps in.

I can live with something like that for a short time for a specific purpose but not for the long haul. The cost analysis of the temporary storage vs. building a garage was a good one. I've known of a couple people who built a separate garage and put in plumbing and heat and actually lived there while building their dream home. When that was done they had a nice free-standing shop with heat and plumbing. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In one case the husband is an avid woodworker while the wife is into pottery. They each use a portion of that building for their respective avocations and are able to clean up out there before going into their home. It has worked out great for them and, in the year they lived there while clearing their land and building their home they saved more than enough money on rent to pay for the building which is now their shared workshop. It was truly a win-win for them.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I've been looking for a 40 foot trailer from a tractor trailer to bring to my farm and store hay in. I don't like storing hay in my barn, there have been too many barn fires in my area. The biggest problem is having them transported. The old ones that are reasonable aren't that road worhty, and it's hard to find someone willing to transport them. I hope to get one before next summer.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I bought two semi-trailers several years ago for $500 each delivered sans axles. I painted one and put a gable roof on it for looks. Holds exactly 360 square bales and keeps them fresh as a daisy. The other I tediously placed across the bayou in my woodlot and cut the front-end out to use as a covered bridge.

I have two storage containers. Each is 20 ft long. Much more convenient than a single 40. Wasa planing to put at least one at the building site for our new house (still might) but looks like I'll be getting my garage/shop/tractor/implement building up before the house gets started in earnest and that might elliminate most of the incentive to move one of the storage containers. I was planning to put it on temporary axle and afix a temp trailer tongue to pull it to the site (on my property, no public roads involved). Only incentive left is a security issue for tools and high value materials.

I use them as lockable storage inside my larger shop. I figure it will slow the bad guys down enough to give the gendarmes a chance to arrive (monitored security system). Have to agree that they are truly U G L Y!!!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I wondered how many bales a trailer would hold. Now I know. Thanks!![img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

We were also planing on making it look like a barn, and doing some work on it. The roof idea is great![img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How did they deliver it without the axle? What did it cost to have it delivered?[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I finally got myself a storage container. Because I don't have my bridge yet, and it had to be driven across my stream -- a 40' was out of the question, so instead I got a 20'.

Base Price: $1100
    Painted Gray: $150
    Lock box: $40
    Delivery: $85
    TOTAL: $1375

The base price on a 40' is $1350 -- only $250 more.

Yesterday I started taking my land-related items -- that I always have to transport back and forth from home to the property -- from my garage and placing it into the container.

Finally, a secure place to hold my Bobcat -- as well as keep it out of the weather.