Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

Diesel vs gas for light trucks

I'm contemplating getting a new pickup. Right now I have a 1/2 ton Chevy 2WD with a 350 gas engine and I want to get a 4WD. I'm assuming none of the manufactures put diesel engines in a 1/2 ton pickup, is that true? I really don't need a 3/4 ton, but would consider it if the fuel economy would be enough better to make it cost about the same to drive as a 1/2 ton 350 gas. So, I'm probably going to go with a gas engine again. But, before I make a final decision, I'll give the diesel folks a chance to speak out! What are the pros and cons of diesel vs gas in a light truck? I do not need or want a 1 ton, so if they don't put diesels in anything lighter, then I guess the discussion is already over. I don't live a real cold climate, so the cold weather cons of a diesel are not a big deal, but I would still like to hear what they are. I also don't plan to do any really heavy towing. The most weight I would tow would be a trailer with my Jeep or my TC29D tractor with an implement, so the most I would tow is about 3200lbs plus the weight of the trailer.

Re: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

Mosey,

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Diesels are not available in 1/2 ton trucks.

Besides the added $$ for the 3/4 ton vs. 1/2 ton ($1-$2K????) The diesel engine options cost something like $4-$5K more than the gas option.

Hard to do the cost benifit analysis as the EPA does not publish fuel economy numbers on the 8,000# & higher vehicles. So you have to get fuel economy on the diesel from other truck owners. The numbers aren't necessarily consistent (Ie I might have a lead foot & tow alot, you don't).

You do get to factor in resale value on the diesel, but even if its 50%, $3K buys alot of gasoline.

For a comparison, the epa (fueleconomy.gov) calculates the fuel cost of the Jetta TDI (90 HP) as $467 & the 2L gas (115HP) at $861 so you save $400 a year with the diesel.
    Hazmat

Danny,

As you may know I've spent a little time around trucks in my career. Just yesterday I was talking with a friend about this very topic. Generally speaking, for uses such as yours, there is no advantage to a diesel whatsoever that isn't offset by the higher cost of buying it according to three different studies I've read over the past couple years.

In your case the differntial becomes even greater in that you have to spend extra money for the 250/2500 series or 350/3500series over the 150/1500 series and then deal with lower fuel mileage on the larger truck and a rougher ride. Add to that the more expensive tires you're wearing out and the cost differential continues to increase. For the diesel to pay off the buyer/owner who needs the larger truck regardless of engine type has to be in a situation wherein he's going to drive many times the average annual mileage AND is going to keep the truck for its entire lifespan in most instances. In your situation the choice of a gasoline engine in a full sized 150/1500 series would seem to me to be the way to go. Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope this helps.

Thanks guys! You basically reaffirmed what I was already thinking. I guess I've gotten to where I don't like to make a decision anymore without checking with the folks at TBN/CBN!

Danny,
    For you I wouldn't even consider a diesel. You aren't going to get much better mileage, 15-19 highway and 12-16 in town with a diesel, than you would with a gasser. The real advantage of a diesel is in towing. No way can you justify it if you are strictly looking at cost ratio. If you look at IF you are buying the same truck and only considering the cost of the diesel engine it takes about 80-100k miles to recoup the difference. That number goes down alot with towing.

Anyway to make a long story short I don't think it would ever pay you to buy a diesel.

If you're interested in Ford I have a contact that will sell to you for $300 under invoice, and you keep the rebates, on the half tons if you can claim it as commercial.

My 1999 2500RAM Dodge with Cummins 24 valve tubo diesel averages 19 MPG on the highway at 75-80 MPH (not loaded). Loaded with a very substantial trailer, it gets about 16 MPG. For fuel economy and power in one package, you can't beat the Cummins. People are always amazed that my 3/4 ton quad cab, long bed 4 x 4 gets that type of fuel mileage. But beware, to the best of my knowledge, the Ford powerstrokes and Chevy Isuzu engines do not get this good of fuel economy. Also, this Cummins engine will go forever. I've known several with over 400K miles on the original engine. And, the performance and torque of this engine is unbelieveable. If you need both performance and economy, then go with this package. But, I suspect that you'd have to keep the truck for ten years or alot of miles before you will notice the savings compared to a gas fueled truck. But, I tend to run up the miles fast on my vehicles. This package is the only way I can buy a vehicle on a 5 year loan and not have it be worn out before it's paid for. Usually, I will put 100-150 K miles on my vehicles during a 5 year period.

Actually Dodge finished last in the latest hp, torque, mileage, towing, etc. Ford has just come out with a brand new powerstroke engine that is a 325 hp, 600 lb. torque engine that will get 20 mpg. The Chevy duramax pumps out 300 hp and 540 lb. torque and will also go 20 plus in mileage. In numerous car and 4wd magazines the Ford was best in towing, with Chevy second and Dodge last. Dodge has come out with what they call an HO Cummins but it isn't legal in alot of states due to the emissions factor. Dodge is on the ropes right now but I'm sure they will come out with something else soon. If they don't Ford and Chevy will further widen the gap. Right now Dodge was last in diesel pickup sales last year.

Don't get me wrong the cummins is a great engine and will last a lifetime, most diesels will, but it isn't up to the par for power or the mileage of the new generation Ford and Chevy.

guys i just talked to some buddies in deerborn and they said that you can special order diesals in 150/1500's. plus ford and dodge are coming out with baby diesals and the new volkswagon suv has a killer diesal! 300 hp and 26mpg! plus 700 miles to a tank!

I'm facing the same questions about now. My issues are engine life and mileage, as well as carring capacity. I'll be driving around 100 miles a day with work, and want something that will last a long time. I also haul firewood, building materials and landscaping materials somewhat frequently. My 1/2 ton gas Chevy 4x4 ('89) has 200k on it now, and still has good oil pressure and has never had the valve covers off. It has been seriously overloaded and worked hard over the years. Time to think about something newer and a bit heavier. I'm thinking I'd go with a 3/4 ton next time, but with the lowest (numerical) gear set I could get in the diesel, for mileage. I may tow a smallish (20-22ft) trailer some time, but don't plan on anything terribly heavy. Any idea what kind of highway mileage to expect from a 3/4 ton extended cab short bed Chevy set up as above?

Thanks.
    Bri