Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

Hybrid View

Re: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

My 1999 2500RAM Dodge with Cummins 24 valve tubo diesel averages 19 MPG on the highway at 75-80 MPH (not loaded). Loaded with a very substantial trailer, it gets about 16 MPG. For fuel economy and power in one package, you can't beat the Cummins. People are always amazed that my 3/4 ton quad cab, long bed 4 x 4 gets that type of fuel mileage. But beware, to the best of my knowledge, the Ford powerstrokes and Chevy Isuzu engines do not get this good of fuel economy. Also, this Cummins engine will go forever. I've known several with over 400K miles on the original engine. And, the performance and torque of this engine is unbelieveable. If you need both performance and economy, then go with this package. But, I suspect that you'd have to keep the truck for ten years or alot of miles before you will notice the savings compared to a gas fueled truck. But, I tend to run up the miles fast on my vehicles. This package is the only way I can buy a vehicle on a 5 year loan and not have it be worn out before it's paid for. Usually, I will put 100-150 K miles on my vehicles during a 5 year period.

Actually Dodge finished last in the latest hp, torque, mileage, towing, etc. Ford has just come out with a brand new powerstroke engine that is a 325 hp, 600 lb. torque engine that will get 20 mpg. The Chevy duramax pumps out 300 hp and 540 lb. torque and will also go 20 plus in mileage. In numerous car and 4wd magazines the Ford was best in towing, with Chevy second and Dodge last. Dodge has come out with what they call an HO Cummins but it isn't legal in alot of states due to the emissions factor. Dodge is on the ropes right now but I'm sure they will come out with something else soon. If they don't Ford and Chevy will further widen the gap. Right now Dodge was last in diesel pickup sales last year.

Don't get me wrong the cummins is a great engine and will last a lifetime, most diesels will, but it isn't up to the par for power or the mileage of the new generation Ford and Chevy.

It will be interesting to see how the next couple of years play out. Ford is supposedly coming out with a new six, kind of like the Cummins; smaller displacement, more boost for power and mileage.

The Duramax is nice, but the biggest advantage it has is finally putting a good tranny behind a light pickup diesel. That, and it's quiet.

The Cummins most easily makes more horsepower when hopping it up. It is also the stoutest built of the big three. I saw pictures on one of the websites(I lost the url though!) that showed a disassembled Cummins next to a Power stroke. The rods alone looked three times as beefy as the Powerstroke. It should be easy for Dodge to boost it up a few notches. The challenge will be putting an automatic with it that can readily handle the extra power.

I have only heard the hubbub about the Alison behind the Duramax; do they offer a manual?

Dodge/Cummins really raised the bar when they brought the first turbo Cumins to the market. It will be intersting to see how these guys lep frog each other.

For now though, I'll stick with the Cummins I have. It has plenty of power to pull anything I need, even stock.

Was this the picture you are looking for?

Egon

The new Ford is still a V-8. The 6 is for six liter. They also have the transmission to back it up now too. The new motor is because the 7.3 wouldn't comply with emissions standards by turning it up. That's the problem cummins is having. They have come out with an HO model but it doesn't meet Cal. emissions. The Ford 7.3 and Cummins can be made to make incredible hp, over 600. The Chevy is pretty much maxed out because of their head design at 300-350 hp. I don't know about beefier. The rods are bigger because the Dodge is only a six cyliner. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges. They are both pretty dang tough engine that will go 300-500k without much problem. I wouldn't mind owning either one. All three offer a manual six speed.

You can read about the new powerstroke here. http://www.fordvehicles.com/index.asp?bhcp=1

I thought Ford was going to put a V6 diesel in the 150's?

The Dodge doesn't have an EGR Valve or a Cat right now. Those are coming in 04. VW's TDI EGR soots up the intake and requires occasional cleaning. My choice would be a six speed in any truck and I like the cummins. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Better go get one!!

Gary

<font color="blue">I thought Ford was going to put a V6 diesel in the 150's? </font color>

please, please, pretty please. I'd LOVE to see that!
    Hazmat

That is the plan for the 150's.

There have not been horsepower wars like this in years. It is great for the consumer, well some consumers... Since I got my Ram 2500 last year, I won't get another truck for a long while. I hope for high miles, and at less than 20k per year, that will take a while... The shop my Dad works at had a '99 3500 come in for oil and filter change a while back; the truck had over 700,000 miles on it with only regular maintenance. they guy towed a gooseneck flatbed and made nationwide deliveries with it.

I asked the local Dodge dealer about retrofitting my truck with a 8.9l, but the guys were clueless... The local Fire Dept got a new engine this year with the Cummins 8.9 350hp-1250ft/lb motor and a Allison tranny [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal last week that stated that Ford was pulling the plug on the V6 diesel development project at Navistar. I don't have that article handy, but it was last week, either tuesday, wednesday, or thursday.