Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

Re: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

Well hopefully it won't be a $4K option like the powerstroke. If it were about $2K I might be able to convince the CFO that the fuel savings will make up for it.

Can't wait for the next 8-9 years to pass so I can buy one. Maybe sooner if a used one comes available for the right price.
    Hazmat

There have not been horsepower wars like this in years. It is great for the consumer, well some consumers... Since I got my Ram 2500 last year, I won't get another truck for a long while. I hope for high miles, and at less than 20k per year, that will take a while... The shop my Dad works at had a '99 3500 come in for oil and filter change a while back; the truck had over 700,000 miles on it with only regular maintenance. they guy towed a gooseneck flatbed and made nationwide deliveries with it.

I asked the local Dodge dealer about retrofitting my truck with a 8.9l, but the guys were clueless... The local Fire Dept got a new engine this year with the Cummins 8.9 350hp-1250ft/lb motor and a Allison tranny [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal last week that stated that Ford was pulling the plug on the V6 diesel development project at Navistar. I don't have that article handy, but it was last week, either tuesday, wednesday, or thursday.

I read that too, on the Ford Truck Enthusiast website. It's a shame, I was very interested in that model, but
    the "business model" didn't support the development.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID86/2.html

I'm going to be looking to replace my 88 F150 next year. I also fall in between G vs. D.
    I know could get by with a F150 with a 5.4L, but I'd like to justify the 6L diesel. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

"Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

hazmat - "Can't wait for the next 8-9 years to pass so I can buy one"

Don't wish to be older just so you can have the truck you want! I would like to have a new Chevy with the Quadrasteer and can't afford a new one, so when there are some good used old ones for sale 5-6 years from now, I might try to get one. But, life passes by too quick as it is, so I don't mind the wait!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="blue"> I'd like to justify the 6L diesel </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

How about, "It's what I wanted so I bought it?" [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Why wouldn't that work?? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I an effort to maintain my marital status, I may need to persuade more than myself. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

It worked for the Kubota ! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The seed has been planted, we'll see what happens in the spring. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

Turbo-charged diesels are also handy in the mountains - they maintain power at high elevations much better than non-turbo (gasoline) engines.

Cowboy. you may be correct, but boy I don't know what I would do with more HP or torque. I just bought mine from my brother-in-law. He used it on the ranch to pull loaded gooseneck stock trailers. It would run down the interstate at 75 MPH with a loaded 30' stock trailer just fine. This at about 6,000' elevation. Also, there will always be much debate on this, but the selling point of the Cummins is durability. Most diesel mechanics, I've talked with say the powerstroke is very powerful, but the Cummins will still be going when the powerstroke is getting rebuilt. Some of my ranching relatives confirm this. They've worn out several of the powerstrokes, but not one Cummins. This doesn't mean the powerstroke wouldn't be the best engine for some people. The same relatives who have had to repair their powerstrokes still buy them, because they do appreciate the extra HP. I haven't heard much about the Chevy (Isuzu) Duramax. Just too new yet.

Most diesel mechanics, I've talked with say the powerstroke is very powerful, but the Cummins will still be going when the powerstroke is getting rebuilt. Some of my ranching relatives confirm this. They've worn out several of the powerstrokes, but not one Cummins.

LOL. We tryed the cummins back in the early 90's and had really bad luck with the trucks and the motor not being powerful enough. Most of the ranchers out where I'm from go powerstroke for the same reasons you've said. We have powerstrokes back home with between 300-500k and not done much to them. I also know cummins guys with the same deal. I think they're both great engines. Once you get past about 300k the bodies are pretty well shot as well as the rest of the truck. Most of ours just keep going down the line for the next level of work. Many that we still have aren't even licensed because they're falling apart so bad but that motor is still going, LOL.

It just goes to show that it all depends on who you talk to. I won't say the powerstroke is any better than the cummins or vice versa. The only thing I think can be said for a true fact is that Ford diesels outsell all the others combined.

I haul a 42' living quarters trailer that weighs in 15-18k loaded so I need all the hp I can get.