Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

Re: Diesel vs gas for light trucks

Cowboy, Thanks for your info. It has been a good debate. Truth be told, I have always been partial to Fords. This is the first Dodge I've ever owned, but I am impressed so far. I originally was going to go with a powerstroke, but the reason I was swayed to the Cummins really was fuel economy. I have 6 brother-in-laws in the ranching business. Between them, they are split between the Fords and Dodges. They have all reported great HP but poor fuel economy with the powerstrokes. They told me that they only get 14-16 MPG with their powerstrokes, while the Cummins get around 19-21 MPG. Now, maybe the new powerstrokes are much better at fuel economy. (And maybe my BIL's just drive them Fords too fast). I don't know.

Cowboy, I forgot to add: You mentioned not having enough power with the Cummins and the Dodge trucks being poor quality in the early 90s. I agree, those old Dodge trucks simply fell apart and they were rough riding. We had lots of those at my agency that fell apart. BUT, the new generation model trucks are a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. We have many of those at my agency also, and they are holding up great. I'm a forester, and you know that we really test our vehicles, day in, day out, pretty much all off-road driving. The old 12-valve, pre-turbo Cummins didn't have much oomph. The 24 valve turbos, were a big improvement. These came out around 1998 (I think).

My 12 valve cummins has a turbo. Its not the fastest but it does get the job done.

The early Dodge diesels didn't have a frame strong enough for the torque of the engine.

Egon

Cowboydoc:

Thats quite a load as you will be grossing out at or near 25000 pounds.

I have heard that for some weight categories the 2500's and 3500's are legaly able to trailer more weight that some of the larger trucks.

I often wonder how the flathead V8 and flathead sixes moved all our produce and goods.

Egon

Egon,
    I can legally haul up to 30k with my licenses on my truck. We were grossed at 26,300 on my last trip to Idaho elk hunting. No problems at all. My trailer has huge brakes and that helps alot.