Thread: Need urgent advice on drilling well for pond

Need urgent advice on drilling well for pond

I have well drillers here now. They're at 600 ft with only 2 gal. per minute flow rate now. They will continue on Monday. Although where pond is, there was several 'wet weather springs' and the pond itself was built over an underground stream (covered up due to dam height restrictions on permit,etc) we went down 150 ft before even hitting solid rock.
    My pond is 1.25 acres with depth from 4 to 12 ft.
    I am debating whether to tell them to stop with only 2 gpm or continue on down.....or.....pull it up and go to a different spot.
    I drilled where well driller said he could get his truck comfortably....next time i want to drill where I want to drill, since i'm one paying.
    any advice?

Re: Need urgent advice on drilling well for pond

I'd have them move spot. At 600 feet, it's gonna be a logistical nightmare placing the pump, getting water up that high, (gonna need to ba a big pump). And if you ever need to service a pump that far down, you'd better have alot of friends who work cheap. Just my opinion.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Smoky,

Rarely is mother nature so kind to provide water where it is comfortable to park a drill truck. If your goal is to maintain the pond level during the warmer summer months, you might approach it this way. Figure out what the pond evaporation rate is for your area. The link is for Idaho, you should be able to find something for your area. I ran some numbers for 30" and July @ 19% of the total ~ 6". In your case the pump could only supply 1/3 of this rate (pond would drop 4") and would cost ~ 20$/month @ $.07/KW-HR. The Lions share of the well cost is in the liner and a shallower well will pay back quickly. In short move the truck.

http://snow.ag.uidaho.edu/Publicatio...evap/POND.html

I'm aware of how long it's going to take to fill the pond. Even at 20 gpm I think if i figured correctly it would take about 90 days or so. There's a fairly substantial drainage area with a bowl-shaped run off area on 3 sides of pond. With several days of rain and few downpours, the water in pond is only about 1/3 covered on bottom now.
    I'm on hold pattern now with road to pond and drilling area too wet and muddy for them to come back. Drilling rig still parked there.
    when owner of drillling company returns i'm going to have him pull it up and start a new drill. as to where.....still not 100% sure but I it will be where i want it and not where he wants it.

I have a cedar growing about 100 ft from where he's drilling and there's not another cedar anywhere on the property. And i know cedar has to be near a water source. So that might be a choice.

just to update things here for those who were helpful and offering advice. Closed up the 600 ft well that only hit 4 gpm...we got 4 after awhile, had great recovery rate but still not adequate for filing the pond.
    Went over to where I had originally wanted to drill and went down 150 ft and hit 15 gpm and has about a 85 ft head on it and still rising as we left. hoping it just flows on over but that would be too much luck for this old boy.
    probably use the generator to start filling pond, and then next spring look for a solar pump that will get it up.