Thread: Get a Soil Test!!!!

Get a Soil Test!!!!

Most of you guys already know this but for those that might be getting started.....

A soil test is key to getting things growing the way you want and can save lots of time and energy.

I have one field that won't grow much of anything on a property that I have not owned very long. See attached. The picture was taken a previous winter after some cattle had their way with it, but it does not get a whole lot better even in spring/summer.
    The field is a mixture of local dirt and fill from previous adjacent construction. Looking at it you can tell that compaction is part of the problem but I suspected that ph was the major issue.
    All the other fields are growing fescue or a fescue / lespedeza mix great and look very healthy.

The soil test results for the problem area? ph=4.7!!!
    yuk. No wonder.

The key is that the soil test will tell you excatly how much fert and lime is needed to get the job done. No guessing. no over spending on un needed lime or fert. Also it will tell you what kind of fert is needed.

Cost? zip. Other than the time to collect the samples and take them to the local county extension office.

Fred

Re: Get a Soil Test!!!!

Yes good idea. Some areas you do have to pay[like mine] but its well worth it. I have not had mine checked yet, but I plan to next spring after I move in, and start on the garden, and lawn.
    Paul Bradway

I agree. We had ours tested ($5/sample) and confirmed our concerns that the farmer leasing the hayfield was just drawing it down, disregarding our arrangement. He's history. These tests check for many components and will come with a recommendation for fertililty (in lbs/acre required) for a specific crop if requested. We had the hayfield limed at 2 ton/acre (avg of tests) and will retest in summer/spring next year after fertilization. Within the last the two weeks you can already see the color change in the fields. The oats and rye I planted like it also. The fellow spreading the lime missed one row where I planted oats and the difference is amazing.

I learned the lesson the hard way! Last November I planted ryegrass and it did not take. I thought it was lack of rain... This past June I planted bahia and it did not take either... The only thing growing was weeds. I finally did a soil analysis, and it came back with a PH of 4.3 !!!! My back field was 4.7 !! I now have to spread 2,300lb of lime per acre to get it even close to growing forage.

So, I spent $200 in rygrass, $600 in bahia, $50 diesel fuel, and lots of tractor time (No charge for tractor time since I enjoy it). $850 plus dollars to learn about PH. I could have spent $3.00 for the test and saved $850.00

Joe

A soil test is an absolute must. I hear people complain all the time that they can't grow anything and they have never done a soil test. Plants are very specific as to how well they do with regard to the soil. If you're planting hay forget it without a soil test.

Its kind of funny in retrospect, because the guy I bought the place from had planted fescue on this field the year before and very little came up. A nieghbor that helped him plant it was complained that "it did not take", and appeared baffeled.

I wonder how much seed, time and energy they wasted.

Fred

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I hear people complain all the time that they can't grow anything and they have never done a soil test.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was one of those people complaining to him... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Joe R.