Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phone jack problems

phone jack problems

When I built my barn I ran a line out there for my phone. It works fine, except the phone jack develps corrosion frequently, resulting in a short & knocking out all other extensions in the house. I have changed it 2, maybe 3 times in 9 years. I asked at a local [small] radio shack it there were a phone jack that could tolerate moisture/humidity. He was not helpful or hopeful that I would find a cure.

The phone jack is in the center isle & is protected from rain, but the barn is fairly open. The only time we close it up completely is 3 or 4 times in the winter when it gets really cold [for SE Louisiana].

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanx

Re: phone jack problems

You could always hardwire directly to the phone and eliminate the jacks altogether. Another choice is to put some grease on like you would on a bulb in an automotive socket. Going to an old style jack with screw terminal connections would also work. Good luck with whatever you decide to use. I hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think I remember my dad having a phone out near the pool when I was a kid. I think the jack was in an outdoor type of box (kind of like the sealed elecrical outlets for outdoors)

Maybe check with an electrical supplier, or with a more knowledgeable store in your area.

Frank

I'm having the same problem right now -or I should say was - in the crawl space of our house. Not wet down there, but enough moisture to make copper unhappy. Did 2 things that have helped so far. Did away with all moduler plugs and twists. Went to all of the little silicon phone connectors - 25 for $5.95 at Lowes. Second thing I did was did away with the junk wire from Radio Shack. Went to Lowes bought phone wire. It was cheaper than RS and it was at least twice as thick. I believe it was roughly .08 per ft. Might be a little more if you want direct burial it might be a little more $

If you buy a phone jack some of the newer ones have a gel like substance on the rear of the terminals. This "gel" is gummy like and is designed specifically to eliminate corrosion.
    Of course you could put some type of electrical grease as stated previously. This should take care of your problem. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Use a outdoor phone jack and also check your electrical receptacles and wire. If you are having dampness problems, it may cause problems there too.

Thanx guys - - guess I'll start by staying out of radio shack. I assume home despot will do as well as lowes.

Church Road, VA 45 miles SOUTH of Richmond

Hello sorry for the late post but maybe it will help. I work for Verizon and I was in I&M (installation and maintence) for a couple of years before going to specials. Once in a blue moon I would have to install a jack for someone living on a houseboat. We have waterproof jacks that you can plug a phone cord into. They have a RJ11C recepticle that is covered by a screw on cap. You should be able to find one. If not stop the next phone truck you see and ask him. He may be a kind person [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Church Road, VA
    See some pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/vamangano

If you haven't got a satisfactory solution yet for your corosion problem, consider a phone jack made for marine use (not the military, but boats) Ship chandlers or yacht/boating supply outlets are a place to buy. Hubbel (the wiring company not the space telescope) is one brand.

I lived on my sailboat for nine years and never had a corosion problem with my external phone jack. It was mounted in the cockpit, exposed to weather, salt air, and not infrequently salt water. I installed Radio Shack modular outlets below decks for the extensions and didn't have problems their either.

Their are waterproofing "greases" that can be used without interfering with electrical contact that will exclude air and moisture from the contacts. Just filerup and plug it in.

Do you keep stock in the barn? What is getting to your connections, ammonia?

Pat
    Best of luck
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: phone jack problems revisited

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've taken a cheap way out that might work. I put in a new jack, and I used some liquid tape that Santa brought me on the terminals. I hope that will retard if not stop the corrosion that I've experienced in the past.

BTW, this is my 3rd [maybe the 4th?] jack in 10 years. Hope this lasts a little better.