Thread: Chain saw replacement chain

Chain saw replacement chain

I have a Husqvarna 340 chainsaw. I need to buy a replacement chain for use while I have the current chain sharpened. Do I need to buy a "Husqvarna" brand or will a generic brand of chain from Home Depot or Lowes work? Please give me your imput. Regards,
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

Re: Chain saw replacement chain

The chains at HD and Lowes should show which factory ones they exchange with. I haven't seen any there for my Stihl and go to the dealer for new ones. Have you looked at sharpening your own chain(s) and avoiding the hassle of going to the dealer? It isn't hard to file them, or you can get one of the grinders that run off a 12v battery and make quick work of things. I usually sharpen mine every 1-2 tanks of fuel. Running a dull chain is really hard on the chain-you will find that it streaches quickly, and will ruin it quicker this way then by sharpening it to "nothing".

i currently buy my chains from Northern Hydraulics...same Oregon chains the dealer sells, just a little less fancy packaging, and about 6-10 bucks cheaper.....just my .02 worth

The brand really doesn't make a difference. It has to have the proper number of links, gauge &amp; pitch.