Thread: Well pressure tank noise

Well pressure tank noise

I have a Well Rite Model 60R pressure tank for my well (submerged pump). It was installed in September 1998. It has developed a noise in the last 3 months or so. As the system reaches cutoff pressure and the pressure switch cuts off the pump, there is gurgling-hissing-sigh that comes from the tank there used to be no noise other than the pressure switch clicking. Is there something wrong with the tank? What should I do? I've sent an e-mail to Well Rite also.

Thanks

WVBill

Re: Well pressure tank noise

Sounds like the diaphram sprung a leak. Since it has a 5 year wqarranty, I'd wait for Well Rite to contact you.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Your tank needs to be replaced so go to it under warrantee.

Thanks to both of you. WellRite responded to my e-mail with "drain it, re pressurize it, and see if the noise goes away". I will do that but let's assume you are both, right. Would you take a WellRite warranty replacement or replace it with "something better"? I don't know what that might be. The current tank was installed by the builder/plumber when the house was new so I suspect that this tank is "standard builder quality" - i.e. not bad, but not top of the line either. I think I'll (starting here) do a little internet research on well pressure tanks....

Your in West Virginia, I'm in Quebec and the only pressure tanks I've seen with any writing on them all say WellRite.

Bill, don't let the drain/repressurize thing fool you. If you do that, it will work for a bit, then it will get back to the point you're at now. When you drain it, check if any air comes out at the end. There shouldn't be any. Or you can purge the air from the tank and see if you get any water coming out at the end. Either of these will confirm a ruptured bladder.

You're probably right on the tank being middle of the road, but before getting a new make/model, I'd see if Wellrite will come good on the one you have first. If you do decide to change, make sure the tank is metal, and not fiberglass. Fiberglass tanks have been known to explode when they go bad. Not often, but once is more than enough. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>