Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Code of the West

Code of the West

Any of you catch this on NPR? I love it! Some communities in Montana have published the guidelines to living in their rural setting and what to expect: rights of way for cattle, unreliable phone service, cattle odors etc.

One guy sums up the code with his quote "Shut up and like it, and if you don't, move on."

You can read more about it on NPR's web site.

Re: Code of the West

AMEN. I am so gosh dang tired of city people moving to the country and expecting the country to be like the city. If you move to the country learn to live the way it's always been. It makes no sense to me at all why people want to move to the country and then try and make it like the city.

We live on a dirt road and there have been several new homes built on 20+ acre plots. Our pretty winding dirt road is going to be upgraded. That means the trees within fifteen foot of the road will be removed to allow for widening and drainage. They did the other end last summer and took down three foot diameter oaks. The road looks great if you like straight and bare. People bought here because it is 25 minutes to a major city but looks like a post card of rural New England. Now the very presence of the homes is the reason given for the change.

We are lucky that our trees will not be touched but to see more of the big oaks go is a shame. Sure glad that we built 800 feet off the road.

Country-come-lately city types' plans for moving to the sticks:

Buy five acres, control five hundred around them.

I'd rather have an infestation of rats or mice.

Join the NRA -- The guns you save may be your own.

Just curious: What is a " CITY TYPE " ?

Egon

I assure you it's not you Egon. It's the type that comes out to the country and wants to change everything. They call the sheriff because you haul manure and it's on the road. They call the sheriff because they won't mow the fence lines and you do it and they turn you in for trespassing. They drive 70mph on a dirt road and don't have the courtesy to slow down when they meet another car or they pass you on a gravel road and throw rocks all over you. They hit your dog and just keep on going. They call the sheriff because you're out shooting clay pigeons. They try and get the property rezoned because they don't like the smell of your cattle. They go by close to you when you are riding your horse and honk their horns and laugh when your horse shies away. They try and bring big city with them ie they want 7-11's at the small town you live in and they want all the politics as well. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.

Gotchya.

Egon

Cowboydoc,

That is a good description of the problems we are facing. Heaven forbid that the Beamer get dirty on the dirt road. They are so clue less that they did not realize that a dirt road is dirty. So I have to wash to van more often, it is worth it to me.

I was raised in a good sized city but married a farm girl many years ago. Most of the city is gone from me now my father-in-law saw to that. I love the land and the space. Most of people are wonderful neighbors but a few should go back to the city.

In our area now it is a requirement that all real estate sales people have buyers sign a form that tells them this is agricultural land and there may be some dirt and smells. One lady down the road from us started a petition to stop the spread of liquid manure. I don't know what she expected but my wife asked her if she liked milk. When she said yes, Jane told her they go together and you can't have one without the other.

Those people are idjuts wherever they live - city, country, in-between.

Actually, the way it works is:

You work in the city for 40 years because you need the higher pay. Hate every minute you are there because of the crowding, pressure, etc. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Retire and move to the country. Grow bored 6 months later because there is nothing to do-- no 7-11, no movie theatre, only 1 restaurant open past 7:00 pm, only 1 grocery store, etc, etc. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Then you suddenly realize what the place needs! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Organization! You realize that what people lack is knowledge of how things should work, which you happily have after living 40 years in the City. Solution-- go into local politics and regulate how often everyone must mow their lawns. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] What color their houses must be and how many chickens/cows/horses/pigs/goats they can keep on an acre of land.

You are saved! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] No more boredom! After a few years, the place starts looking and feeling like the city. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] But who cares? At least it runs right [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

SHF