Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Code of the West

Re: Code of the West

Huge difference where we're at. AG land is taxed at $6/acre. Residential is $30 some and industrial or commercial I believe is around $300-400 acre or more.

Argee,

I'm not that up on tax law, since it's not my specialty. But, I'm not sure Michigan makes that big of a difference on an Ag exemption. I recall hearing about it as one of the needed changes in the tax structure. With the new Governor already telling us the State is broke, I don't think there'll be much of a fix. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Our property was rated Ag when we bought it and the taxes were running about $150.00 on the 30 acres. After the sale, they jumped to about $300.00 on only 15 acres, and it is still Ag exempt.

The good news is that values have risen far faster than our taxes. Last fall, the assessor came past and checked out the new pole barn. Our assessment went up $500.00, which is just about the same amount that they would have gone up without the barn.

Steve

Ye sour wonderful new governor. Going to introduce 2 new lottery games to save the school funding!!!!!! Thats thinking. Anyway if you make money off your property you can get the tax cut. We just sell hay and raise horses. GIVE EM HELL!!!

Yet another lottery? I don't buy tickets for the ones we've got.

Steve

somebody sure is, Steve .... it seems they announce a new lottery every second week. But ... those voluntary "taxes" are sure preferrable to their standard method of tax-and-spend.
    I see our "value" went up again too .... up about $3k. I'm not sure how the heck they figure the place appreciates in value when the economy is in the toilet and no one is buying around here .... but who ever wins an appeal?
    Now, If I could just get the wife to ever sell a horse ... maybe I could pretenbd I'm making money off the place ... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Take heart, the economy should start to rebound soon. Property sales (locally, at least) have been doing much better since February.

Unfortunately, the people I see buying the most lottery tickets are usually the ones that can least afford it. Lots of Seniors getting caught up in lottery fever.

Steve