Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Code of the West

Re: Code of the West

I guess I'm "kind of the city type", having been raised in NYC for 20 years, then escaping to Missouri. Have lived in the ST. Louis suburbs for another 36 years and now we are moving to the county next year.

I can hardly wait!

I don't mind gravel roads or dark nights. Looking forward to being able to shoot a few clay birds from time to time with out having to drive for an hour.

I was mowing a few feet onto the adjoining property, no fence, and don't mind if they mow onto mine.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Egon, I think it's a state of mind much like being a country type while living in NYC or Chicago (or in my case, Dallas). A city type is not necessarily a bad person, just a person that wants to move his city envoirment along with him. A good example is the fellow that owns the place next to my 46 acres. His place is about the same size but he doesn't have a house, just a corral on his place but that didn't stop him from putting a mercury vapor floodlight up rigged to a sensor that turns it on at dusk and off at dawn. I guess he put it up in case he ever wants to come out to the country after dark. Unfortunately my wife and I get the benefit of his light (and his city-type attitude) every night we stay at our place.
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

<font color="red"> His place is about the same size but he doesn't have a house, just a corral on his place but that didn't stop him from putting a mercury vapor floodlight up rigged to a sensor that turns it on at dusk and off at dawn. I guess he put it up in case he ever wants to come out to the country after dark. </font color>

You could tell him that what they make switches for. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

<font color="red"> In our area now it is a requirement that all real estate sales people have buyers sign a form that tells them this is agricultural land and there may be some dirt and smells </font color>

When I got my land, we had one of these to sign also.

Where I am moving is not so much country, but small town. Most people here want to keep it that way. Any time anything wants to come into town, they are up agenst a big fight. For about 4, 5 years they have been trying to put a cell tower in. Nope, don't think it will happan. Now they are trying to put a big store up. Been fighting for about two years now. I think I am safe, that the town will not grow up to fast. And it does not need to, we got a good sized city[Albany NY] about 25 min away. Not that far.
    Paul Bradway

If memory serves me correctly most farms had a yard light that remained on all night.

Egon

One thing I really like about our place is, it is DARK and nobody leaves outside lights on for miles around. If someone left a mercury vapor light on that was near enough to come into our bedroom, it could become susceptable to random flying lead from an unknown pellet or bb gun.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Hi guys.

Could we not get into the flood light thing again, please? It's been done - some people like/need them, others don't - and it doesn't have anything to do about where you were raised.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, but then again I'm sure you didn't either [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Cowboydoc, I didn't know we shared the same neighbors. I've lived at 40th and plum (forty miles from town and Plum out in the sticks) for years with no problems, now all the city folks are moving out. You know they have a smell about them? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yea I don't know what's wrong with people. The country is the country. Have some respect for those that came before you and that are trying to make a living and put food on your table.

One last comment on outside lights. I went to a seminar yesterday on managing your property for wildlife. Three biologist all recommended turning off lights at night. It seems it has a detrimental effect on bird populations especially the migratory birds that come through Texas in winter. They also said keep your cats indoors.
    Mike