Thread: installing brass floor flange for toilet

installing brass floor flange for toilet

I'm ready to install the brass floor flanges for my toilets. The guy at the supply house said to just solder to the lead but cautioned not heat the lead with the torch or it will melt away.
    will the solder stick if heat is only applied to the ring? Will a regular propane torch work? How carefull do I need to be around the ceramic tile? do I need to anchor the flange to the concrete slab or will the solder joint suffice?

Thanks, Steve

Re: installing brass floor flange for toilet

Is the brass flange sized to fit over copper and be soldered? Or to existing galvanized or cast iron? You mentioned lead in your post, I'm assuming cast iron now that I read it again. You may want to use one of the "rubber" compression adaptors to tie into the existing line, if there is room and access. This lets you join dis-similar materials (such as iron to plastic).

Most new systems use either PVC or ABS pipe with comparable material for the flange.

As to attaching to the floor, I'd recommend it. You can drill the floor and use Tapcon screws to attach the flange, it's not hard, I just did so.

If you can let me/us know more about the installation we can let you know a little more. Is this in an existing concrete slab, or an area with a crawl-space or basement?

Bri

Thanks, this is a new construction. The plumber that did the rough-in used a fitting that has what looks like a lead "can" that sticks up through the slab. The can is made of lead and was bonded to a pvc coupler which is now under the slab. The rest of the drain system is pvc.

Interesting post - from your description it looks like our plumber did the same for our rough-in toilet plumbing. My thought was that these cans were only to provide an outer sleeve for the pvc when the slab was poured and that the final flange connection would be made to the pvc, not the outer can.
    Now you've got me wondering - good time to ask the plumber since the slab's not finished yet.
    Nick