Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a pro chainsaw

Do I need a pro chainsaw

Well I've read all the chainsaw posts on TBN. Question is, do I need a pro saw or is a homeowner version acceptable?

Please don't turn this into a brand war, I know that a husky, stihl, jonsered, echo, john deere and puloun are all viable options. I've narrowed it down to husky or stihl based on popularity & local dealer locations.

I've got 1.5 acres of trees. Will be cutting some down for the woodstove plus the usual pruning & wind damage cleanup. I don't think I have a big enough woodlot to sustain heating by wood, so eventually I may have to have the firewood delivered. Since a chainsaw is one of the more satisfying power tools, I'm considering saving money & having the wood delivered in log form which I will cut to length & split myself. Since our new woodstove is small, it will only take up to a 16" long log. I'd hate to have to re-cut pieces I already paid somebody to cut.

I like to buy/have quality tools, but when is it overkill? For instance, I could have spent $2,000 for a powermatic 66 instead of $550 for my Jet contractor saw or gasp $129 for the sears special benchtop.

Right now I'm borrowing my dad's 16" sears (puluon) lightweight saw. It does a decent job & has lasted many years of occasional use. It runs out of power on the bigger logs (8" and up)

What is an intelligent carburator and is it worth extra money? I think I want the decompression for easier starting.

I'm drooling over the Husky 346XP $350 and the Stihl 260 $400 and 260 pro $430?. All are about 3.5HP. I haven't tried any yet (maybe friday). Hoping santa will get me one. For the prices I've been able to find on the net, the husky seems like better value.

I figure I'll get a 16" bar to use most of the time & maybe a 20" for the occasional big tree.

The husky rancher and stihl farm boss models are cheaper, but seem a bit heavy (13.5# vs 10.5# for the powerhead).

The husky 350 (homeowner model) is $275, same weight, 3 HP.
    Hazmat

Re: Do I need a pro chainsaw

Go for the pro model. Sounds like you will be doing more than just homeowner work with it.

Egon

Brand issues aside, two bars are a good choice. I have a 12" for general purpose use and a 20" for felling and cutting larger stuff. I picked the 12" for the more frequent chore of limbing trees and cutting fallen limbs. Lighter and easier to maneuver than a 16.

Any brand chain saw will do the trick, 1.5 acres is a walk in the park. A 16-20" bar can tackle major chores but the key is to keep the chain sharp.

Where you buy your firewood, tell them you need it 16" and many will take care of cutting, and that sounds like a pretty standard size for fireplaces.

Bo McCarty, Realtor

If I were in your shoes, I would go with the quality of the pro. I also would stick to the 20" bar and not have to be changing it (or wishing it was changed) all the time.

I like the 20" bar because it demands less bending over when limbing and cutting wood than a shorter bar. True, the 20 is a bit heavier, but I think being used to one bar length is helpful (for safety, if nothing else).

I get two new chains for each new sprocket, and if I had two bar lengths, I would feel I would need two sprockets and four chains. Another reason I would stick to one bar length.

Just my opinion. You do what feels best.

Just another though to justify the pro model.
    If cutting fire wood this is a constant operation and the saw may operate at elevated temperatures for long periods of time. The pro model will handle this. The home owner model does not have the cylinder/piston metelurgy for this type of operation.
    Egon

Sounds like the consesus is to have santa spend the extra $75 for the pro model. That is what I was leaning towards, but it is good to have know that I am on the right track.

I just remembered that my father in law has an old saw he wants to give us maybe 14 or 16". I think I'll spec. the new one with a 20" bar and keep the old one for the limbing if it works well, or maybe just for the dirty stump work if it doesn't.
    Hazmat

I just got my husky on thurs. the bar on mon. and called about the chains today. I ordered it from nopel online and saved about 130.00 on a husky 372xp with a 20" bar. sounds like you like quality tools so I would go for the pro line if I were you.

KC,

Thanks for the link. The place is about 25 minutes from my house [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

I agree with egon, go the pro route. For the few extra dollars it's not worth sweating over.