Well I've read all the chainsaw posts on TBN. Question is, do I need a pro saw or is a homeowner version acceptable?

Please don't turn this into a brand war, I know that a husky, stihl, jonsered, echo, john deere and puloun are all viable options. I've narrowed it down to husky or stihl based on popularity & local dealer locations.

I've got 1.5 acres of trees. Will be cutting some down for the woodstove plus the usual pruning & wind damage cleanup. I don't think I have a big enough woodlot to sustain heating by wood, so eventually I may have to have the firewood delivered. Since a chainsaw is one of the more satisfying power tools, I'm considering saving money & having the wood delivered in log form which I will cut to length & split myself. Since our new woodstove is small, it will only take up to a 16" long log. I'd hate to have to re-cut pieces I already paid somebody to cut.

I like to buy/have quality tools, but when is it overkill? For instance, I could have spent $2,000 for a powermatic 66 instead of $550 for my Jet contractor saw or gasp $129 for the sears special benchtop.

Right now I'm borrowing my dad's 16" sears (puluon) lightweight saw. It does a decent job & has lasted many years of occasional use. It runs out of power on the bigger logs (8" and up)

What is an intelligent carburator and is it worth extra money? I think I want the decompression for easier starting.

I'm drooling over the Husky 346XP $350 and the Stihl 260 $400 and 260 pro $430?. All are about 3.5HP. I haven't tried any yet (maybe friday). Hoping santa will get me one. For the prices I've been able to find on the net, the husky seems like better value.

I figure I'll get a 16" bar to use most of the time & maybe a 20" for the occasional big tree.

The husky rancher and stihl farm boss models are cheaper, but seem a bit heavy (13.5# vs 10.5# for the powerhead).

The husky 350 (homeowner model) is $275, same weight, 3 HP.