Thread: Which woodworking magazine(s)?

Which woodworking magazine(s)?

Family is looking for xmas lists from me. I thought in addition to the chainsaw, a subscription to a woodworking mag would be a good idea.

Which woodworking magazines do you guys recommend? I've bought a couple (american woodworker, wood, fine woodworking) at the local bookstore, but it is sometimes hard to tell from a single issue. Besides, everybody is doing the yearly tool review & not many project articles.
    Hazmat

Re: Which woodworking magazine(s)?

Why don't you take a trip to the library, check a few out and see what you like. Each one seems to cater to a specific niche. I've subscribed to a bunch of them over the years. I'll get one for a few years and then drop it for another just for variety.

Here are comments on a few I've subscribed to. Fine Woodworking is generally snobby, high end and fine furniture oriented, Wood is more project oriented with a lot of step by step how to build weekend knick-knack type projects, Woodwork has great pictures, but not a lot of content, Workbench is geared more to home improvement projects

I get Workbench, Wood, American WoodWorker, WoodSmith, and ShopNotes. If I had to boil it down to one, I think ShopNotes would be it. ShopNotes seems more focused on shop projects and tricks than the others. If I had to cut to one I would certainly miss a lot shown in the others, so will now be glad that I don't have to decide.

I think Workbench used to be as AndyF claimed, but now is more in line with the others. I agree with his summary of FineWoodworking, and dropped my subscription after 25 years.

If interested in construction, then FineHomebuilding is very good.

The Library approch is good, as you can thumb through the stacks of issues and drive yourself nuts trying to decide which one you want. Otherwise, put out the list and let someone else (giver) decide for you.
    Merry Christmas.

I get Fine WW, Fine HB, AM Woodworker, Shopsmith and Shopnotes. I agree with the previous comments. Shopsmith and Shopnotes are probably the most useful. FineHB is a good source for new construction techniques & ideas. I'll occasionally buy a rack copy of Wood or others if they have a specific article that intrigues me.

My favorite is Shopnotes, I like the combination of shop jigs and techniques. I like Woodsmith (from the same editor) for its projects and clear plans. I really enjoy Fine Homebuilding, and I was able to drive our builder crazy with stuff I learned there. I get Wood just because I've subscibed from their first issue and my obsessive-compulsiveness makes it difficult for me to stop getting it (at least it's the cheapest of the bunch). I probably wouldn't start up a new subscription. I signed up for one year of Workbench, but dropped it and added it to my library review list of Fine Woodworking and American WoodWorker. Also, my library keeps the magazines for two years then withdraws them from circulation and puts them out for free pickin's. I've picked a few interesting back issues that way.

Thanks guys,

My town library doesn't have a good selection of mags. Might have to travel a little further down the road.

I forgot about shopnotes, I had picked up a copy of that. Very cool! I think I get more excited about the tools & jigs than actually building something.
    Hazmat

I agree about previous FWW. They seemed to have changed a little toward the newer crowd of up and coming woodworkers. Even seen a few compaints in the letters to the editor section about how they were bringing down this fine mag. I like the newer issues, not much on the older one tho.