Thread: Waffles

Waffles

Anyone have any tips or recipes to prevent waffles from immediately going soggy after they're cooked. I love'em when they are fresh out of the waffle iron, nice and crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. If you make two, the first one is all soft and spongy by the time you eat it. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Waffles

Get the wife to cook em for you & eat #1 while #2 is cooking. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Seriously, we leave the waffle iron on, & cook them as they are eaten. Works well for a breakfast for two.
    Hazmat

Yup,
    The waffle iron needs to be right on the table with the waffle eaters. Cooking and eating simultaniously.
    When every one has had their fill, if batter remains, I cook the rest a little light and small enough to fit in the toaster. Just the right amount of toasting will at least make em palatable.

particleman

Hmm [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] ok,

Hey Particleman, are you an atomic particle ? Perhaps you could alter my waffles at the sub-atomic level ? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I have tried having the oven preheated to a quite low temp to "hold" waffles. Must preheat well in advance to avoid condensation if using a gas oven. They stick to the rack and aren't nearly as good as fresh out of waffle iron. Tried nonstick cookie sheets. Didn't stick but slightly "steamed" the bottom side of waffle. Propped up on non stick cookie sheet does fair but the waffle will dry out if "held" too long.

Finally, I found large belgian waffle irons (nearly a foot by a foot) that makes four square sections. I bought three of them at less than $20 each. When I want to make a waffle breakfast for family and or friends, I can serve several folks at the same time with hot fresh waffles, QED.

Needless to say I am designing in appliance garages all along one 12 ft wall of the kitchen except where the stove goes so the waffle iron supply will be real handy.

P.S. I tried adding pecan halves to the batter. It was OK, tastes fine but essentially a waste of pecans as it didn't do that much for the waffles. Sprinkling them on top of a banana pudding is much better use.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pecans taste great in waffles. Try grinding them in one of those crank nut grinders or chop them semi-fine. That will release more of the oils when the waffles cook. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Superb Idea. I did go out and buy another waffle iron. Sure does speed things up.

Pecans, I love pecans. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks

I also like pecans on waffles instead of mixing them in with the batter I like to toss a handful on top just befor closing the waffle iron, like they do in the Waffle House diners in the southeastern U S. I think the pecans toast a little that way.

particleman