Thread: Which yard hydrant

Which yard hydrant

I'm installing a water line from the Rural Water meter and am going to install several yard hydrants. Just from the web sites, the Merrill Any Flow looks like a good one. What brand of hydrants do you all like?

Thanks

Gary

Re: Which yard hydrant

Depends on if it freezes where you live.

If it does, you should install what's known as a "bury" faucet.

The lower part of the faucet extends two feet or more into the groud to your water line and has a weep hole in the bottom to drain the water out of the exposed upper pipe.

Of these, I prefer the Simmons brand. You'll find their faucet listings here:

Simmons Bury Faucets

Pricey, but well worth it.

They're available at Lowe's Home Improvement Centers, where they're about half the prices listed on the Simmons website. I think I paid about $40 for a 6-foot size. Shorter ones are much cheaper.

One nice feature of the Simmons faucets is that washers and other internal parts can be replaced without digging up and taking out the faucet.

Re: Which yard hydrant

Thanks, I will go with the 2'. Our frost line is about 12-18" . The Simmons definately is the most popular around here. Hopefully, it will stay that way so I can get parts 20yrs from now!

Thanks

Gary