Thread: timber frame

timber frame

Does anyone live in a timber frame?
    If so, Are you happy with it and who built it?

Re: timber frame

I wish. I think they are the most beautiful houses.

Don't know where you are, but there are many manufacturers. Go visit one nearby.

Plenty of info on the web & lots of nice books too.

Timberframe.org
    Hazmat

I am with hazmat. Timber frames are beautiful structure. My son is looking at them now and hopes to build one in the next few years.

What we have found is the price per square foot is 25 to 50 per cent more than stick frame. The problem in our area is that many contractors do not like to work on them. Timber frames have to be designed very carefully so that all the plumbing and electrical work can be done in a cost effective manner.

Long ago I was the electrician's helper on a huge timber frame home. The architect did a very poor job in that he did not allow enough access for wiring and pipes. It was a gorgeous building but a nightmare to wire and plumb. The heating contractor was back over and over trying to balance the temperature in the house. The twenty-five foot high ceilings in the great room funneled all the heat upstairs. With todays in floor radiant heat that will not be as big a problem but still one needs to plan well. The house was for sale two years ago and I almost cried when I went to the open house. Someone had put eight inch round industrial grade silver return airs at the ceiling. It just ruined the look of the timber framing.

I know that the roofing systems used on many of the built up roofs failed. They ended up with a checker board pattern as the roof decking joins were attacked by moisture. The ends would just curl up and raise the shingles. As I understand it, there was no moisture barrier used. The foam insulation was to be the barrier.

There are a lot of draw backs to timber frames but they are gorgeous. There was a good timber frame builder in our area but he does not do them any more. He has gone to stick frame only. The word was he never made much money on them and was always going back to fix things.

Just do your home work and if you can't afford the best timber framer then don't even consider it. If you cut corners on a the building, you will regret it big time.

I wish.

This place is practically within walking distance of my house. I even delivered them some beams with my truck driver friend.

The Wife and I built our oak timber frame about 7 years ago. 30 ft * 48 ft center entry colonial. 29 ft ceilings in the main rooms, 21 ft in the bedrooms. Did forced hot air. Hid a return in the center fireplace to return the warm air at the ridge back down to the basement. Very comfortable in winter and summer.
    The fame went up in 3 days. It's a sight to behold.
    We used Oak Post and Beam in Massachusetts for the frame. Very pleased with them.