Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPG list

MPG list

I guess I'm just curious how my gas mileage compares to other trucks and this also may be of some benefit to those in the truck market.

I have a '99 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD, ext. cab, short bed, w/ 5.3 liter/4 speed auto, 265/75-R16 tires, and 3.73 gear ratio. Last tank I got 18.75 MPG - including 2 or 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] hot rodding episodes. I don't think that is too bad, just curious how that compares to some of the bigger brothers and diesels. Good information for those of use that are looking to move of the truck ranks in the future.

Re: MPG list

This will make you feel better...

My '96 Ford Ranger supercab, 4x4, standard trans, with 3.0L V6 gets about the same as your Silverado [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] .

My 87 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 with 305 (5.0) gets about 15 combined on regular.

shf

jwstewar,

I have a 2002 Ford 350 SRW Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed with 3.73
    rear, 6 speed manual, and the 7.3 Turbo Diesel. With a full
    load of fuel and the usual tools/load in the truck the vehicle
    wieghs in at 7,700 pounds.

My "city" route gets me about 18 mpg. A combination of city
    and rural driving is close to 19 mpg. The only long trip I have
    made I got around 17.5 mpg running 70-75 mph but the
    engine was not broken in at that point. It will be very
    interesting to see what I get during the holiday drives.

I had a 95 Chevy 2500 Turbo Diesel that weighed 1,200
    pounds less it and got about 2 mpg LESS than the F350. The
    Ford has a larger engine with much more power yet gets
    the better milage.

All the milage is figured based on miles driven and fuel put
    into the tank not from a trip computer.

Later,
    Dan McCarty

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4, longbed extracab. It has automatic with 4.11 gears. I have been a bit dissappointed with the mileage, but understand that 4.11 gears don't help mileage...

Running empty, with a mix of freeway, in town, and foothill driving, I can pull 15mpg if I'm easy on it. The in-town, and hilly terrain don't help the mileage. Down in the flatlands I get 17-18.

When I tow the tractorit takes me down a couple mpg.

All this is based on at least 1000 miles on the trip computer.

If I were to get another truck(we bought this one with the intent to keep it for a long time), I'd get another Dodge. But, I'd go with 3.55 gearing. I've never needed the added pulling advantage of the 4.11's. That would make a big difference in the mileage.

This is still better than my '89 Ford F250 4x4 with 351ci and 4.11 gears. It got 11mpg or less. It was a great truck, but gas 3/4 tons with no overdrive are not noted for fuel mileage. With an 11' cabover camper, we got 8mpg cruising California to Alberta and back on vacation a couple years ago.

96 Dodge diesel extended cab 2500 series 4x4 auto 3.55 gears

British units
    Empty up to 25 mpg
    Camper across Canada 18 mpg
    Truck/camper/ bumper hitch trailer gross = 24000 pounds got 14 mpg over 3500 miles.

Egon

Wow! I think the best I have got was running I-5 for a short trip and getting 19mpg on the instant economy display.

I do not know if it is just my driving, the gears, or maybe the injectors need tuning or something. I have tried babying it for a tankfull; and still only get 16-17.

With the tractor on the trailer it's more like 12-13. My little B8200 doesn't weigh much more than 2000lbs with loader and scraper.

I live in the foothills, and run around up here as well as in the valley. So I get a mix of small hills and flatland.

I just don't see how my best mpg running empty can be worse than your avverage in hilly country with a camper on. Driving styles have a huge affect, but I have tried driving real gentle like and baby it just for mpg.

It puzzles me!

'99 Silverado w/ V-6 Best I can muster is 20mpg. 25 miles to work one way, and 20 of that is X-way. On average I getr 19mpg. I see some of these V-8's w/ 4x4 are doing better than that. Go figure.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I guess I am on the bottom of the list...

I have a 2000 Ford Excursion Limited with 6.8L V-10. I weigh about 7000 pounds with the 44 gallon tank full. I get 12 mpg average... close to 14 on the highway and about 10 pulling my horse trailer.

People often ask what I get for mileage. My stock answer is "it's irrelevant!" I bought it because it is confortable, safe, and can tow a 10K pound trailer. If I cared about mileage, I would drive a Honda Civic (gag...). [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

2000 Ford Excursion Powerstroke Diesel
    weight full of fuel, one occupant, little else - 8,034 lbs CAT scales, Hypertech PPIII and misc performance mods, close to 700 ft.lbs. torque.
    Steady 55-60 mph - 21 mpg
    Most tanks I check - 19 mpg
    70-80 mph cruising - 18 mpg
    City driving - 14 mpg
    Towing 9,200 33ft travel trailer in Smokey Mountains - 10 mpg
    Towing same travel trailer on flat land - SORRY - would never choose to vacation on flat land! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Terry