Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MPG list

Re: MPG list

97 F250HD Crew Cab 4X4 (old body style). 460 gas engine, 5 speed manual, 4:10 axles. Long term average mileage has been 11mpg. Best tank ever was just under 14, worst is towing our high profile fifth wheel camper at 6-9mpg.

Shoulda gotta diesel [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Here's my mileage data for the first couple of years ownership [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

And I thought I was geeky for just entering my mileage into Excel. At least I hadn't graphed it [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, no shortage of geekiness here [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, the graph stemmed from a college buddy looking at a very similar truck. He asked about mileage and being an engineer himself I couldn't get away with a simple answer. I already had the data so the graph was a natural. I've also got a complete statistical analysis of the data [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't normally track mileage like this but shortly after getting the truck I just couldn't believe how BAD the mileage was. I knew it wouldn't be great but this was rediculous. I checked a few tanks and used Excel to do the math for me. It became routine for a while and somehow I felt that by tracking it so closely it would get better. No such luck of course [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I considered a Banks system for the truck after we got our camper in which case the data would have been useful to show improvements. $$$ kept me away from that [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I did finally stop tracking mileage as a life simplification effort some time ago. I also came to the obvious realization that no amount of analysis was going to get me any better mileage. I try to ride my bicycle whenever I can [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rob

Haven't graphed mine either; just keep it on a Microsoft Works spreadsheet that keeps track of dates, price per gallon, number of gallons, total price, mileage on that tank of fuel, and cumulative mileage to date. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Bikes more fun anyway!

Egon

I have a 2003 6 litre diesel, automatic, crew cab, dually, King Ranch edition 4x4. On the highway I get 17-20 depending on how fast I'm going. In town though I only get 12-14. Towing about 16k I get 12.

You finally bought a truck!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Bird, I want my spreadsheet back!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] That is exactly what I track. I'm just a little behind on my entry though. Haven't done it recently. Just still been tracking it in the pocket notebook that I keep in the truck and then every now and then I grab the cell phone and use the calculator on it to some quick math. Numbers are staying about the same.

OK, the initial results are in. Since I didn't fill it up the last time, I'm not sure if it was topped right off, or just filled until the gauge read full, so this is kind of a rough estimate. For my rural drive to work and back and a small mix of "city" driving, I got 17 MPG, which is about the same I got with my 1989 2WD with the 350 V8. I'll be taking it on a highway trip in 2 weeks, so I'll post those results when I get back. I'm please and relieved so far!