Thread: How to get rid of wild onion

How to get rid of wild onion

We're in the northern Shenandoah Valley and have wild onion popping up almost everywhere in our ~ 4 acres. In the area I mow, it's no problem but in the flower beds and orchard it's a pain. I control weeds with RoundUp in most areas, but RoundUp doesn't seem to phase wild onion. Pulling doesn't work because you never get the root.

Anyone have success getting rid of wild onion?

Re: How to get rid of wild onion

The local news station I watch used to do a lawn care segment every now and then.

Anywho, the nursery man they went to recomended a product called "wipe out" that would kill them. The story goes that it was developed in the 70's as a super fertilzer but the plants they tried it on actually grew so fast they exploded. I've never tried it but it's worth a shot.

We have always had a "clump" here or there...in fact I used to like the smell when you would hit some with the mower. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] HOWEVER our lawn is full of them this year. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Will this Wipe Out product kill the grass? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Are there any other options? [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Good subject, I have the same problem in some flower beds where I put mulch that I got for free from the county recycling center. Just like you, I found out Roundup doesn't even phase it. I'm going to try digging it out with a shovel, since it's concentrated in one clump.

I used a product from TSC. It is their weed killer, Amine 400. Turned them white after a few days and they are gone now. Mowing before dousing them should help the kill.
    Danny

I've tried both RoundUp and Wipeout, and have had the best reults with Wipeout, by far. Even just for what should be simple jobs like grass in the driveway, Wipeout - 100% effective, RoundUp, maybe 25%. It's all I buy now - that stuff is so expensive, whichever one you buy, you sure want it to work!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

WVBILL,After talking to a landscaper about wild onion he said it was a soil ph thing that means the soil is sour and sweeting up with lime would help to remove them [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] you can lime at any time of the year or several times a year

you have to spray both fall followed by spring

wild onion is a bulb and has reserves or power to regenerate

I believe i used to use GORDONS TRIMEC WITH MCCP AND DICAMBA

I find that digging them out usually leaves a few small "seed" bulbs, which re-establish the clump in years to come. I've tried for years to rid them from our gardens here in NY. They've continued to beat me, but I've never used weed killer on them.
    <font color="blue">If you want to do what you want to do, then you have to do what you have to do. </font>