Thread: what should i expect to pay

what should i expect to pay

Hey CBN'ers,
    What should i expect to pay in upstate NY for a contractor to come in and clean my pond bottom and steepen the banks. Its about 50x80x7 feet deep. pretty dry right now due to our dry summer. Can the spoils be used on the bank also. Ide like to beable to get my tractor all the way around the pond to mow and walk. Right now its impossible to get all the way around it due to all the weeds and such. any ideas on what this may cost in my area? any pond input would be helpfull also.

Thanks, Larry

Re: what should i expect to pay

I am in Gemeseo and the cost of pond contractors here is all over the place. I have four quotes on the pond I want to do and the prices range from $6000 to $13,500. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] The low price comes from the fellow that did my 800 foot driveway where he was low bidder there too. The drive turned our great and I was more than satisfied. I know he won't go to Shortsville but ask around and find out who the farmers in your area use. That is how I found my contractor.

Larry,

You might consider the DIY approach. If your tractor doesn't fit the job very well, the B21TLB (Tractor/Loader/Backhoe) rents for less than $200 a day.

A 50x80 pond seems well within the capability of the B21. Using the spoils to steepen the bank is a good Idea. It will take some time for the bank to stabilize.

By doing it yourself you can have a lot of fun and reflect your personality in the finished product.

My tractor doesnt fit the job very well. Im able to bush hog around it with no problem, but i want the banks steeper and the pond to hold more volume. I get real wet in the spring. Ill be doing some looking into who does the farmers in the area. I like that approach.,
    Larry

Well I would say you could buy my excavator and do it yourself and then when all the jobs are done sell it and you won't be out nothing near some of the cost to have it done by someone else. Do it yourself and have the pride of knowing you did this [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Shoot I'm in Western New York so delivery wouldn't be too bad either. Search ebay for equipment and you will find mine through dec 2,2002.

Darin

Just rember that the steepened bank may just deposit you and the tractor in the pond when you are mowing at the edge.

Egon

Not my 4-wheel drive Blue [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Larry