Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: raising sheep for wool

Re: raising sheep for wool

Hi

I am in australia and have been around both meat and wool sheep and what we call x breeds most of my life. Wool prices around the world have tripled in the last 12mths. Whether you want to sell wool or spin it for yourself merino is the ony way to go. The best woolen cloths to wear are from the finest wool about 20 micron and less. There probably is some studs in your country and this would be your best approach. If you just want some wool for yourself look at buying just half a doz wethers (castrated ram). you will need someone to shear them or if you wanted you could buy some electric shears and learn to do them yourself. If you want any advice i would be glad to help i could email you lots of info if you really want it.

vin
    made in Korea Vin

Administrator

Re: raising sheep for wool

vin,

Many thanks for your helpful comments. When we lived in New York, and had our own farm, some of the larger sheep operations used to "import" a few Australian shearers. We used to go and watch them work. It is no exageration to say your Ozland sheep shearers are world class. People simply could not believe their speed and the expertise of how they cleanly got that wool off.

Thanks for your insights. I am sure all the people here will appreciate your help and contributions.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator