Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pigeons have found me

Pigeons have found me

Started with one or two and they've told their friends of the feast to be had at my house [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . They've found my feeders and the leavin's on the ground.

Suggestions on making it not so appetizing for them at my place? Noise makers/guns won't fly at my place. Chuck

Re: Pigeons have found me

How long did you have your feeders up before the pigeons found them? Maybe you could take them down until the pigeons lose interest and move on. Other than that I don't know how you can get rid of them. We had them at our feeders and never figured out how to discourage them from coming up. We finally just stopped feeding and they left. We did not start feeding after that but I figure they would eventually return if we did.

We have pigeons here in the plant where I work and no one has figured out a way to get rid of them yet. They perch and roost inside the open buildings and their droppings cover everything in sight. My supervisor brought in a match grade pellet gun and shot dozens of them but it did not seem to make a dent. Now they are talking about calling in an exterminator to put out poison for them. However, that would not work in your case because you would also poison other birds and who knows what else.

Seems like a couple of years ago someone set up an electronic device here at work to discourage them but that did not work either. Once again in your case it would create undesireable effects on other birds.

Best I can say is either shoot 'em or try taking down your feeder for a spell. Good luck with a remedy. If you do find a remedy be sure and let us all know so we can use the same technique to rid ourselves of those nasty "bridge chickens."
    Chris

Chris - I've been at this house and feeding the birds for 5 years. They showed up this spring and have slowly multiplied to about 10 -15.

I've cut back on my feeding. I just filled the feeders after a couple weeks of no food. We'll see how long 'til they show up again. I'm on the lookout for some different type feeders to minimize waste on the ground.

I currently blast 'em with a super soaker when I see 'em. Even though I have a couple acres, I live in a sub and the neighbors might cause problems if I start killing them. Plus.....if you can believe this......about 2 years ago my city enacted an ordinance with regard to feeding undesirable (i.e. pigeons etc.) birds. I'd like to solve the problem so the neighbors don't think I'm purposely feeding them. Then I'd look at some kind of fine. I hope a few bad(and dirty) birds don't ruin it for the rest. Chuck

Nothing that any gub'ment bureaucracy at any level does surprises me anymore. That is so typical... enact an ordinance that is impossible to comply with. I guess their solution to not feeding undesireable birds is to not feed any birds at all. There is so much to be said for living in the country and not putting up with city ordinances and neighborhood property owners associatons and deed restrictions!
    Chris

your right, In the country you dont worrie about pigeons. The crows chace them off and there is a season on crows if ya dont like to many of them [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Infact there is a season on pigeons in the country...right [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] But then i dont even hunt or own a fire arm, well maybe a little pistol for in home secuity [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Larry

There are ultrasonics but they may drive away other birds and wildlife. Products like "Tanglefoot" are non toxic and seem to "bug" birds, big time. Tanglefoot doesn't glue the birds to a perch but they hate it and won't perch where it is applied. No noise, huh? How about netting and neck wringing? A back yard cat or dog would be a decent deterrent.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Chris - Got a few more years before I'll head for the hills. In the meantime, I just have to deal with country livin' in the city. Definitely looking forward to country livin' in the country. Chuck

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Wait a minute, pigeons are DEFINITELY a problem in the country. I have a bunch living in my barn, as do most of my neighbors. I don't mind them, but I DO mine their poop raining down on my equipment. The stuff is like concrete once it dries. I'd love to get rid of them, but I don't want to kill them, just make them relocate. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Didn't say they were not a problem in the country. Just have more options on how to deal with them without worrying about rules, laws, neighbors who live ten feet away, etc. I respect and appreciate all wildlife but pigeons would get a .22 bullet as often as I could get one in my sights if I lived in the country. As mentioned by several folks their poop is plentiful and nasty. Not only that I have seen pigeons carrying some type of flying bug (parasite?) on them at work. I don't need that type of filth around my house. Sorry Rich... no suggestions outside of shooting them. Good luck finding a way to get rid of them.
    Chris

We had some in one or two of the buildings at work. Almost impossible to get rid of. Poisoned feed was finally used but in this case there were no other birds involved.

Perhaps netting sized to allow smaller birds in would help some.

Attracting Raptors would help but that may not be feasable.

Egon