Thread: recipe format on computer

recipe format on computer

How do you input and library/organize recipes on the computer? A Word or Excel program? Or, a recipe program?

We have recipes on scraps pf paper, and come up with our own fairly often. I would like to get them on the PC and organized.

My Aunt uses Cook'n 6.0 by DVO. She likes that package. That's the only one I've heard of though(haven't looked hard though...)

Re: recipe format on computer

Robert, I use sites like epicurious.com and keep my favorites in the on-line recipe file. When I find a truly favorite, heirloom quality recipe I print it and add it to a three ring binder we keep entitled "favorite recipes". I try to keep it to only those memorable recipes. Over the years that binder will grow and when our kids are older I'll run a copy for each of them. The binder format lets me keep magazine cutouts and just about any paper format. I've even added some of my favorites from my mothers recipe box.

I know this doesn't really answer your question but I figure over the next 20 years or so the computers are going to change a lot more than the paper in my binder [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I haven't done this, but have thought about using database software, most likely FileMaker Pro, which would facilitate searches by ingredient, type of cuisine, etc. Then I'd probably input the data, print, and insert the recipe into a binder, and forget all about the database. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Microsoft Access has a built in Recipe Database template. If you want the features of being able to list recipes by ingredient (ie:"I've got all this zuchini, what do I do with it?") then the database or an off-the-shelf program is what you need.

Personally, I just store them in plain ASCII files. I use 2 flavors of UNIX at home and this format can be read/edited by anything, and the print-outs are very fast.

Whatever you do, BACK UP YOUR DATA. As a sysadmin, I see it all the time. People figure they should transfer all of their paper into the PC. Hard drives fail, it is just a question of when.

Our son set up a recipe file for my wife. She never used it. Too much trouble, it was easier to pull the card from the index box and have it right in front of you.

We use the Master Cook Suite Version 5 software program from Sierra Home. It included recipes from 4 complete Betty Crocker cookbooks and it is pretty easy to add your own recipes and also you can import recipes from the web. We have had it for a while. I can't recall what we gave for it.

Try this link for Master Cook
    http://www.softwaretreasures.com/mas...k6/index.shtml
    [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]