Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot Wings ?

Re: Hot Wings ?

I just bought a bunch of 'hot stuff' from Tabasco's online site. Spicy catsup, mustard, mayonnaise, plus all their pepper sauces. Since I am the only one in the house who likes such things, I have them all to myself! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for the Tabasco link! Tabasco is a staple good at my house though I'm the only one who really uses it.

When I was a little girl, I would add Tabasco to my ketchup. I could be making some $$$ if I had just sold the idea back then. Oh well........

<font color="blue">This site has has anything from mild to super sonic hot sauces....yum! </font color>
    Rhonda, this site has so much stuff, I don't know what to choose! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] What do you recommend, other than Da Bomb?

Mike,

Sorry for the delayed reply but we were out of town for Christmas visiting the southern state of WVa.

I haven't tried many of the products at firegirl.com but I'll comment on what I liked.

WING-TIME Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce: good flavor and nice after burn.

WING-TIME Garlic and Parmesan Buffalo Wing Sauce: though I'm a wings purist, I enjoyed this variation. Nice garlic flavor.

Anchor Bar Suicide Wing Sauce : good flavor plus a during and after burn. Whew! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Habanero Mustard From Hell: I love this on my hot dogs. There's nothing better on a dawg than chili, mustard and onions---ummmmm.

Galena Granny Smith Jalapeno Jelly: I love this over cream cheese then spread over crackers. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've been wanting to try some of their salsas but haven't done so yet. Some of the names of the salsas definitely intrique me such as Margarita Butt Burner Salsa. Sounds painful but good.

Hope you find something that burns your palate enjoyably.

Rhonda

I get my sauce shipped direct from:
    wyswings.com
    1-800-wyswing(s)

The sauce from there has won a number of contests and is quite good.

Reading some of the responses here, what makes wings drier is applying the sauce when they are very hot, shortly after cooking, and draining (i.e. just let them sit over the deep fryer until they are dry) usually a minute or two.

Sauce should be applied by shaking in a closed tupperware, not tossing. The heat itself will dry out the wings. As well, if they're served swimmin' in sauce, unlikely they'll ever be dry. So you'll need to "tong" them out onto a plate.

The key to good sauces is seasonings which hardly any manufacturers use as they're expensive and don't add volume.

Here's a post that I posted on another parallel thread:

"Hey Y'all,

Couldn't help but notice the discussion here. My favorite food for 20+ years now is wings. I wanted to comment on some of the replies. In order to cook the fat out, you don't need to par-boil or precook them if you are deep frying them. Deep frying them, contrary to popular belief, will take out more fat than boiling does. You can see it pop right out of the skin. Now if you need the "chicken water" for soup or such, that's another story. But deep frying will cook out most of the fat. You'll never have a wing minus all the fat no matter what you do short of skinning it before cooking.

As to coatings/breadings, traditional Buffalo Wings are not at all breaded and most folks up there in Buffalo gag at the thought of breaded wings. The key to the best wings is the sauce. In fact, a very good sauce will overcome some shortcomings in cooking although well-cooked wings w/ the best sauce is preferred.

If you are tremendously concerned about the fat, then try "boneless wings". They aren't really wings, they're chicken breast meat cut up into wing-sized pieces. For those you don't bread them per se, but they do need a light dusting of flour in order for them to be able to "hold the sauce". Otherwise being skinless and slick, any sauce applied would slide right off.

To do this, simply flip-flop the boneless wing/nugget in some plain white flour before frying. It's better to let them sit for 15+ minutes after the dusting of flour, otherwise much of the flour falls off in the fryer.

If you deep fry, make daggoned sure that the temp of the oil is between 375 and 400. Never hotter as it breaks down and becomes less healthy. Never less than 375 or your food comes out greasy. Good hot oil, 100% soybean oil (vegetable oil in most cases) is good to use, will make foods crispy and cook better. It sears in from the outside and keeps the wings juicy while crisping up the outside.

Hope that helps."