Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Wings ?

Re: Hot Wings ?

Everyones taste buds are a little different but if you would like to add a little extra ZING to the wing. Try marinating them overnight in Tabasco Sauce. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] Then cook them your way.

Sounds good! I like my wings a bit hotter than the rest of my family so I add a few drops of a habanero sauce (Da'Bomb) to them. Here's a link to "Da'Bomb". This site has has anything from mild to super sonic hot sauces....yum!

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] http://www.firegirl.com/hs1326.html

For those with cultured tastes like me an tractorgirl (cultured tastes like a bit of heat). You can boil the wings to start as previously mentioned using minimum water to cover and reserve the broth for soup or... The gormet finish is when you fry them in a small quantity of peanut or canola oil that had just been used to lightly saute a quantity of julienned halapenos or seranos (habeneros if you are certifiable). When the wings look ready, dash in some 151 rum and ignite. When the fire dies down pretty well but hasn't gone out dump the wings and chillies over an otherwise plain ole dish of natchos and don't forget to share.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Cultured tastes?!?!? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've never considered myself with cultured taste but with wings, I am somewhat of a connoiseur.
    Your recipe is definitely interesting. With the burning of the rum, does it take away any of the heat from the habernaros or enhance?

Thanks!

Rhonda

Rhonda, The flaming wings thing is a variation on my famous shrimps halapeno flambe exhibition (serves over rice). I think the burning off of the alcohol in the 151 rum is essentially neutral to pepper heat. There is very little alcohol left so designated drivers are not required. There is a small residual alcohol but much more so a set of rum flavor notes that many report as a pleasant enhancement.

The effect is as much fireworks to be enjoyed visually, a delight to the eyes, as it is to delight the pallet. Of course, reduced room lighting is required to appreciate the fireworks.

As some folks like a little sweet with their hot, you can add a little orange liquer or a full flavored sweet fruit brandy in with the rum. Beware the bozo that wants to blow out the fire and conserve the "full" complement of alcohol. I personally think it tastes best with pretty much all the alcohol burned off, well all that will burn off after the burning liquid is poured over the wings. (I wait for the fire to go out on its own before encouraging anyone to "dig in.")

I met a real "fire lady" once when on jury duty. Several of the jurors were having lunch at the federal building cafeteria and this blue/green eyed red headed lady in the group got a Mexican plate and used a liberal quantity of the supplied hot sauce. Next she opened her purse and came out with a really small but full bottle of Tobasco which she proceeded to completely empty indiscriminately over her entire plate. She said that she refills the little bottle from a big one at home. Not your typical gringa.

Patrick

Pat,

Thanks so much for the info. The wings sound great as does the shrimp you mentioned. Do basically follow the same wing recipe with the shrimp? If not, I would love the recipe.

I will try the orange liquer or brandy at some point for some variation. I'll definitely let it burn off as I don't care for the strong taste of rum.

Sounds great!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rhonda

TractorGirl, Big peeled deveined shrimp. Saute in the oil where you have just sauted a considerable quantity of hot peppers. Add 151 rum. Set it on fire and stir while pouring over a rice bed. Do it with reduced light to enhance contrast and time the pouring onto the rice so that the fire doesn't go out until after you finish pouring. Don't pour tooooooo prematurely or you will retain excess alcohol for your stated preference. One nice variation is to add lemon and or lime peel slices (with or without intact fruit depending on your taste pref) just before adding the rum. It is both a visual as well as taste enhancement. For color, I try to find some red jalapenos to mix with the green of the other peppers.

I have done this with HUGE shrimp from the Sea of Cortez (AKA Gulf of Baja) that run about 4-6 to the pound (12/kilo) which are a shrimp eaters delight BUT smaller shrimp result in more surface area for the same weight and collect the pepper taste much better. I recommend for taste that yo use smaller shrimp.

Pat

Wow, I just checked out the firegirl.com site and it's NEAT! My wife is a hot sauce junky and she's gonna go nuts when she sees it. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Fishman

Thanks for the recipe Pat! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I look forward to trying it out in the near future.

Fishman,

I've ordered several things from firegirl.com and have been quite satisfied with the products. Hope your wife enjoys the site.

Tractorgirl