Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Barn is Here

My Barn is Here

BCI Barns just delivered our much anticipated pole barn. They will also be putting it up, so I'll be glad to let you know how it goes.
    Scott in Sealy - I'll be wandering around there this weekend, so if you are out and about, always feel welcome to stop by.
    Nick

Re: My Barn is Here

Be sure to take pictures so we can all watch this pole barn go up.
    PJ

I am planning to put up a 40x48 barn next year and was wondering if I should buy a kit or do it all from lumber and plans. It has to be an old fashion wood barn though. Let us know how is yours coming.

I'll be happy to update as this all progresses - hopefully the updates will be positive but either way I'll let you know!
    Nick

Nick, I have it marked on my "Things to do" list for this weekend. I was just leveling my place for my barn this past weekend. I believe that I am going to go with a Sutherland's pole barn kit 24x30x12 and put 2 lean-to's on it for now. That will give me a few years to plan to size of my real barn. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Phylynx, If you haven't made a commitment yet you might want to talk to Apache Construction located in Whitehouse, TX (just south of Tyler). They've just completed a 50X34 for me that I'm really pleased with. Hopefully the attachment will come through OK. Good luck.
    <font color="orange"> Romans 8:28

Update - I wish I had better news but I promised a realistic update.
    Barn was delivered October 8, just in time for our monsoon season evidently. BCI has been re-scheduled twice due to weather, but here's the problem - their crews travel around in the south-central states, so once they re-schedule, it's a big delay until they get back.
    I have found that their office will give you a date that they are supposed to show up whether it's true or not. Acouple of times the date they gave me has come and gone. I covered the materials, but the trusses continue to sit out in the weather and I am totally frustrated at this point. My wife reminds me that I can't control everything, but I am not happy with the disappearing barn crew at this stage. Materials seem to be holding up OK - thank goodness I covered them with plastic right after delivery.
    I guess I'm at the stage where I'm either stuck waiting, or I can tell them to to forget about the rest of their contract. I may contact Apache - I did not know of them - just out of curiosity to see if they will put up this barn.
    Weather has absolutely killed our barn and home construction schedule [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    UPDATE - BCI contacted me back - they are scheduled to start Wednesday morning.
    Nick

At long last the crew started this morning. I never heard from them yesterday - their office forgot to let me know that they were stopping to do some repair work along the way. Finally took calling the owner to vent. To his credit he made it right and let me know what was happening, but I get tired of chasing this sort of thing down. Not the crew's fault - they are working as well as they can to get ahead of many rain-delayed barns.

I'll take some pictures along the way - man I hope this thing looks good when it's done.
    Nick

Try not to let it get you down... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Weather is the one thing that slows down all construction.

Amen to that.

I went by and checked out the progress - nice bunch of guys doing the work. Construction quality is very good. We got to talking about cars so I guess I slowed them up a bit [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] As is not uncommon the crew in the field does the best they can despite the incompetence of the home office.

As of yesterday the wall framing was up and they were finishing setting the roof trusses. Always neat to actually walk into what was once only on paper, especially when it means the reality of moving operation out of a 2 car attached garage into a 2000 sf shop [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I was lucky on materials - I had babysat the lumber and my raised dirt pad for 6 weeks, covering both with plastic and checking to see what the rain had done. Everything survived - I had put the straight lumber off the ground, but the truss at the bottom of the stack did not fare too well. It's waterlogged and looks nasty. They will make the needed repairs to strengthen this truss. Everything else looks like it survived and that the new barn will actually look new when finished.

I was also concerned that the painted roof and wall panels would discolor or spot from condensation formed between the panels as they lay on the ground but they look OK. They were up on 2x4's and had a little slope to them so condensate could run off.

Bottom line is that if you get materials delivered - no matter what the office says - cover them if you are waiting on someone to construct them!
    Nick