Thread: anchoring a metal carport

anchoring a metal carport

I'm getting a 18'Wx26'L metal carport installed in a few weeks. They normally anchor them with 1/2" dia x 3' long rebar anchors. I think they put 4 on each side. Since I'm planning on moving it next summer, I'm considering not having them anchor it with the rebar and using sandbags to hold it in place. Will this work? If so, how many 50lb sandbags would I need?

Another option is to have them anchor it with the rebar, then pull them out when I move it. My tractor's 3pt hitch is rated to lift 1600lbs 2' aft of the hitch, so it seems like it would have enough strength to pull them out. Has anyone tried something like this?

Re: anchoring a metal carport

Even if your tractor couldn't pull them out, you could always just grind off the portion retaining the carport and drive them the rest of the way into the ground. I think it would be safer to anchor your carport securely with the rebar rather than using sandbags. I've seen portable shelters sail off to who knows where that weren't anchored securely. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Fishman

Re: anchoring a metal carport

Mosey, You can anchor your building with sandbgs but to be safe you need about as much weight in sandbags as the tensile strength (in lbs) of the recommended anchoring method. That is a lot of sandbags!

Just got the drawings in the mail today for my new steel truss shop/garage. There are 5 truss/leg-column sets each with each end of the legs anchored to the concrete foundation with 4 each 3/4 diameter bolts set in concrete with rebar "J" pieces to give them lateral support. Would take so many sand bags to do that job that there wouldn't be any room for anything in the building but sandbags.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"