Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Fabric

Road Fabric

Just thought I would post some pics of the new 500 ft. road we installed from the gates to where the new house will go. I laid down 12 ft wide geotextile fabric first, then followed by #2 base material.

The fabric was done on Thursday, road base installed/compacted on Friday, and today it got a workout from 10 concrete trucks for the new house foundation pour. It took a beating, but held up very well, needing only minor repair of ruts. I think the key was that fabric to keep any ground water from pumping up from the soil as the heavy leads were encountered.
    This is looking from the gates to the barn and soon to be house.
    Nick

Re: Road Fabric

Fabric pinned to the ground with 6" nails .... the bricks were put there just in case the wind came up, but the nails were actually the only thing needed to hold it down.
    Nick

Looking from house to enty gates ....
    Nick

Road base installed ....
    Nick

Another view ....
    Nick

Looks good, Nick.

How did you spread the road base?
    Chris

I used the fabric on my 800 foot driveway and parking area. You will be very happy with the result. Those trucks are just packing it down real good.

Looks like you have a lot of fines in the stone. That will make for a real well packed driveway.

I have added #1 crusher run to a two inch depth after the construction vehicles were done. That gives a nicer look and it is easier to walk on too.

Chris - the best possible way - somebody else did it [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

For an addiitonal $200, the outfit that provided the road base also sent a tractor and operator - well worth it to me. The trucks started unloading at the gates, the material was spread out, then the next truck would back over what was spread. Worked out good, but needs some repair after the concrete trucks got through with it. Overall still in good shape though.

Tenebrous, I was also going to add the #1 material a little later on after the wallet recovers a bit.
    Nick

<font color="blue"> Tenebrous, I was also going to add the #1 material a little later on after the wallet recovers a bit. </font color>

The wallet will never completely recover from building a house. The money just seems to fly in so many directions. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Amen to that.

I should have added that's wishful thinking on my part [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Nick