Thread: Oil change

Oil change

Hi Fella's

Last week i took my Kia Sportage to the local garage for a service. I have just noticed that the oil has been over filled or perhaps to be more correct above the mark on the dip stick. Does any one have any thoughts about this practice. Not happy. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    made in Korea Vin

Re: Oil change

I usually put a slight amount more oil in than is called for. Nothing's been damaged so far. Most of the engines had well over 200,000 kilometers on them before selling the vehicle. The vehicles were wore out suspension and body wise. The motors were still okay.

Egon

I just traded in a Ford Taurus with over a hundred and sixty thousand miles on it. Every time I changed the oil the dip stick showed about a half quart above the full mark. I added the right amount of oil by spec. with the filter change too.

Should not be a problem if you are talking just a little above the mark. Could be a problem if a lot more was added. I worked at a dealership years ago and one clown forgot to drain the oil and just added the the new oil. Those were the days when people did not change the filter every oil change.

When he went to check the level, he got a little surprise. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

IF the crank throw is going through the oil in the sump it will whip it up like egg whites. Air isn't much of a lubricant.

IF the level is below the crank throw, no harm.

I keep mine at the full mark for those IF's.

A little too much oil probably won't hurt. Over filling can destroy the engine because the oil gets foamed up (as previously note) and won't lubricate properly. Plus, a lot gets sucked into the cylinders so you burn oil. This gums up the rings, etc., etc., and is in general not a good thing.
    I discovered to my horror my wife was overfilling her car a number of years ago. Actually the horror part came when I noticed a trail of blue smoke behind the car and figured I'd have to rebuilt the engine. Once I drained the oil to normal that problem went away, but it couldn't have been a good experience for the engine.