Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used a Stihl 025

Has anybody used a Stihl 025

Looking at buying a Stihl 025. Does anybody have some input on this saw or a comparable Husky or and Echo 2450?
    Mike

Re: Has anybody used a Stihl 025

I have the Stihl 025, and have had it and used it for about 12 years now without any problems. I am very happy with it...nice solid saw. I have the 18 inch blade on it. (I think 16 is standard).

Can't really compare it with anything else because its the only saw I've ever owned, but don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Good luck.

I too have a model 025, I believe that it is the top of the line homeowners model and the 026 is the low end of the industrial models. I bought the model 025 because it was lighter in weight than the model 026. I have worn out one drive sprocket, two side plates, three bars and more chains than I can count. It is a great saw. Always starts. The one thing I did not like about it was the side plate has a plastic support that can be broken if you throw a chain (of course if you keep the chain tight you won't throw them [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ). I cannot speak to the other brands but from what I have read on TBN they are good brands and should do well. I would go with what ever your favorite dealer is handling. You will need parts and a trustworthy dealer is always a smart way to go.
    I would look at what you are trying to cut and fit the model of saw to your needs. I know that after a long day of cutting I was glad my saw was not any heavier. I have cut mesquite, oak, pecan, hackberry, elm, honey locust, and some bois d'arc. it handles them all well, the chip removal is great and it cuts far longer than I can [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

Good luck with you saw selection.

Randy

<font color="blue"> ""one drive sprocket, two side plates, three bars and more chains than I can count"" </font color>
    Your number of chains compared to one drive sprocket, leads me to suggest you check with your chainsaw dealer, as mine suggested when I bought my Stihl 27 years ago, that the practice of buying two chains and a new drive sprocket was the best way to get the most wear out of a chain. The idea being that the sprocket and the chains would wear together. Putting a new chain on a worn sprocket causes the new chain to wear unnecessarily fast. I am still on my first bar, and have probably gone through 10- 20 chains (and I get a lot of use out of a chain, as I am very careful that the chain does not get in the dirt). I sharpen (touch up) the chain on the saw after each tank of gas, and change to a sharp chain after each good day of cutting. At that time, I turn the bar over to wear on the other side. I have had the bar ground (jointed) twice. This old Stihl saw has never missed a lick, kind of like the energizer bunny.

I use an 025 all the time and it works great; plenty of oohph but light enough that it doesn't wear you out. The newer ones have a quick-tension device which works well, as well as a bulb primer which is a welcome addition--the saw starts quite nicely. FWIW, Consumer Reports just rated Stihl as the top chainsaw.

--Rick

Mike,
    I have an 025C that I brought in the fall of 2001. I was trading up from a Poulan 2150 that ran flawlessly but had no safety features.
    My wife usually bucks the firewood to lenght after I fell a tree. So she actually runs the saw more than me.

We looked at Husqy, Jonesered (red Husqy), Echo and Stihl. Went with the Stihl 025c based on ergonomics. It simply felt the best in my wife's hands.
    I liked the feel of it too.

Cuts like a champ. We have done about 6 cords of wood so far. Starts right up every time (but so did the Poulan). I really like the no tools chain tensioner.
    And I love the fact that it has the inertia chain brake.

Phil

<font color="blue"> </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ... it has the inertia chain brake.

[/ QUOTE ] </font color>

Would you explain what the inertia chain brake is? Thanks.

Beenthere,
    My Stihl has a chainbrake that is activated in two ways. 1) The handguard - in a kickback situation as the saw rotates upwards the handguard should be pushed forward by the wrist of my left hand. I usually engage the chainbrake by pushing the guard forward when I am starting the saw. The manual recommends this. 2) Inertia - if the saw swings suddenly or violently the chainbrake will kick in. It is very similar to a car seatbelt where a slow movement allows yo to extend the belt but a sudden jerk will lock it. I am not sure how this is accomplished on the saw. I do know if I allow the tip to gently point down to the ground I here a small metallic click (saw must be off). So I think there is some sort of weighted mechanism akin to the wieghted pendulum that controls a seatbelt. i imagine someone on here will know the exact workings.

I really liked my Poulan 2150. It wasn't till I started reading and doing web searches that I realized there was a thing such as a chainbrake. I am still amazed that the box store brands mostly likey to be used by weekend warriors like me lack this basic safety device while the dealer brands all had it. Makes no sense to me. I figured I was only doing a little bit of cutting so I didn't need a dealer brand.

My Poulan cost $109 on saw at Wal-mart. My 025C was $259 at the dealers with a 16' bar. I figure that $149 difference would easily be spent with one emergency room visit.

Phil

Right now after reading these posts I am leaning toward the 025. After talking to a couple of shops they said the odd numbers are american made saws (homeowner) and the even numbers are German (professional). I have been looking at the Echo 4400 (the same shops said Echo doesn't make a homeowner saw) which can be had on Ebay cheaper than the 025. Probably will wind up with the 025 it's hard to argue against experience and first hand owner knowledge.
    Mike

I never had a Stihl 025,but with my experience and satisfaction with my Stihl 026 model and my Stihl FS 88 brush cutter,I would recommend any Stihl chainsaw/brush cutter. I never have had a problem with there performance or reliability.Always easy to start,good company to back the products. There are other good manufacturers of chain saws etc......but after owning 3 Stihl chainsaws and the FS 88 brush cutter,I would not have any reason to look or buy anything else.
    Just my humble 2 cents worth from planet West Virgina.

Wear hearing protection and goggles/or safety glasses with side shields and 1 thing I don't have but should and that is the chaps,which in all probability I will be buying soon.And if sawing in the woods a hard hat would be a good idea as well.

Have fun,but most of all be safe..... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]