Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used a Stihl 025

Re: Has anybody used a Stihl 025

I have an 026 also... Great saw.... One thing, upgrade to the "yellow" chain. I just got one and I can't believe the difference. It's a little more "grabby" but cuts a lot faster.

My 025 says Made in Germany right on it...

Jim

Hmmmmm. If your 025 says made in Germany sounds like I need to stay away from a couple of shops no matter what the price. If they will misrepresent their product even before it's sold what will they do after??? I will look into getting that yellow chain it must have a more aggressive cutting angle. I have quite a bit of experience with saws although most of it was some time back. Has that chain kicked on you yet?

Mike

Just once but it was my fault. The bar only moved a few inches before I recovered. This is not anti kickback chain make no mistake; it is "grabby". If you are an experienced user, this shouldn't be a problem. I probably wouldn't use it on a saw without a chain kickback brake.

That is now on my list of things to get..
    Thanks for the tip.

I got my 025 the first year they came out (early to mid 90's if I recall ). I was at the Farm & Home store last nite and looked at the newer 025 and they do say Made in USA.

Jim

I also have a stihl 025C. great saw.

As mentioned the no tools tensioner is super. I did break the plastic tensioner cover, but it was my fault just not paying attention. Otherwise flawless operation.

In regard to the safety gear mentioned. I agree completely. Stihl makes a helmet with a visor and hearing protection built in. Super setup and very comfortable. Ii also have a set of chaps and a good set of leather gloves.
    I see guys running saws without any protection and I use to do it myself, however just one slip and that could be the end of your knee or a few digits, or even worse an eye. And in the woods how long would it take for an EMS to find you while you bleed out on the ground?

Fred

Well I did it, I picked an 025 today. It is not the C model. Haven't looked to see if says Made In America yet but I will. Paid 279 plus tax for it with a case. Don't know if it was a good deal or not but it's too late now. Now we just gotta put the little rascal to work and boy does it have a lot of work to do. Thanks for your help and comments.
    Mike

I think you'll be happy with your 025. I've had one for several years, and cut between 3 and 6 cords of firewood a year with it. Nice combination of power and weight.

I paid a bit over $300 for mine, so I'd say you got a pretty good price.

My saw does say made in the USA with foreign and domestic parts. The bar is 18" with a " <font color="green"> green </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> " chain. My next purchase will be a " <font color="yellow">yellow </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> " one. A more aggressive chain might make things go a little faster. I wonder if they make one in" <font color="orange"> orange </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> " to match the tractor? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Mike