Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garbage Disposal on Septic system?

Re: Garbage Disposal on Septic system?

Tim,

Thanks, I figured there must be a reason, or more people would have the access up on the surface. I think I would be tempted to install a manhole cover the first time I have to dig it up. At the very least, I'm gonna mark it now, while the builder is still on site and can point out its location.

Pat (and others),

Thanks for all of the good info. I know where the septic line heads away from the house and the general area of the leach field, so I guess I'll find a prod of some type and try following the line on down the hill.

We love having property, even just the little bit we have. We are using the prop we have now as the test bed for the future. It's been a positive and negative that Mr and Mrs Previous owner did nothing to the house or property. Their lack of enthusiasm has caused me to learn a whole lot that I never knew, but it also is frustrating to see how they "engineered" builds and fixes. The previous owner added some shelves to the utility closet. It was made of 2X4s nailed to the walls topped with 1" MDF. I bet I can load each shelf up with a hundred pounds w/o it coming down. Definitely overengineered. The back deck lacked stairs and railings on 1 side. I learned to make stairs fairly quickly. In case your wondering why we didn't use the front stairs, well there aren't any.

Thanks again for all the info. Pat welcome back to OK. We are east of Edmond a mile or two from Lake Arcadia.

Clint
    si vis pacem para bellum

Mine "had" a plastic cover that screwed down to the riser. The previous owner decided to cut the grass one last time before we moved in......borrowed the neighbors mower and sliced the lid to shreds. Needless to say I can't find a replacement cover. I can't find a brand name on anything thats left of it.

Hank,

Before we built our new house we lived in a 100 yr old place with a 500 gal tank. It needed pumping very frequently, and I got tired of uprooting sod and making a mess. My solution was to dig up a square just big enough to allow access, line the edges with landscape timbers, mix in a lot of peat moss and use the area for a marigold garden. With the soil loose it was easy to dig and didn't break your heart destroying valuable plants.

Curt

<font color="purple"> My solution was to dig up a square just big enough to allow access, line the edges with landscape timbers, mix in a lot of peat moss and use the area for a marigold garden. With the soil loose it was easy to dig and didn't break your heart destroying valuable plants.
    </font color>

That's a very good idea. Here in high desert AZ, I don't think the marigolds will do so well, but perhaps I could plant some cholla cacti there, which would definitely keep people away from that area, and would not phase me in the least to dig them up later. The cholla would be a good marker to keep away from; their spines are horrible to deal with.