Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agway

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Agway

I know Agway is a national chain of farm supply/ feed stores, but I wonder how many of you have one in your town. Here in upstate New York, they are all over the place. I've done a lot of research for feed for my horses, goats and chickens, and in each case Agway feed was by far the best I could find. I was shocked when I read in my local farming newspaper a number of weeks ago that Agway had filed for Chapter 11![img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I was happy to read this week that their goal is to be out of Chapter 11 by December 2003. So far I haven't had any trouble getting feed, and my local dealer says that there hasn't been any change in his ability to get feed and supplies. I would hate to have to switch feed for all my critters, and I'd hate to see another farm supply chain go out of business like Quality Farm and Family did. Is anyone having any trouble getting feed or supplies from Agway?
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Agway

Agway sold all of its retail stores several years ago. While many kept the name Agway they are now locally owned. The one in my town has changed its name from Agway to Phelps Mercantile but still sells Agway branded products.

Agway was in a slow motion slide to bankruptcy for several years. They have sold many of their businesses and may emerge from bankruptcy on schedule. I think that they intend to keep their feed business when they complete reorganization.

The article did state that they will keep the feed business, as well as the rest of their agricultural businesses. I know all Agways have been locally owned for years. I just hope they keep operating. I've used Agway livestock feeds my whole life, and all my critters have always done well with them.
    Rich

They have apparently not made it this far, since I've never heard of an Agway store. But, if the products are being sold through private stores under different names, that might account for it.

SHF

My wife worked for Agway petroleum until last year. There is a huge problem, most of it is mis-management combined with oversized bonuses for poor performing executives, while the farmer gets screwed [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . She could write a book on that mess. There have been articles sprinkled here and there regarding the bonus/loss issue but they seem to get burried quickly.
    Bayrat

We have agways in western, mass and my understanding is pretty much the same as andyF's. The retailers are locally owned and just use (or license?) the agway name. The agway company is more the "back-end" distributor/supplier. My guess is that even if the company "agway" went completly out of business, the retails stores called (also called agway), would still be around, assuming they are making a profit already. They would probably end up carrying some other brand of feed etc.

So, these stores are called "Agway", or just the products? I mean, could the store be called "Joe's Feed", and just feature Agway feeds?

SHF

Most of the stores that sell Agway feeds have "Agway" in their name, but some don't use Agway in their name at all.
    Rich

RichZ, check the AGWAY web page for up to date press releases on the company,
    including the Chapter 11 info.

http://www.agway.com/

For us bulk shipments of bagged fertilizer, plus any forage mixes and grain seed (winter rye for straw) have always come thru them.

Our local "Agway" store is now mainly an overpriced lawn and garden center, full of yard ornaments, birdfeeders, and dog leashes. Can't complain to much about them though, they buy all the baled straw my wife's stepdad can give 'em.

Resale it at $6.00 bucks a bale. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

DFB

When I lived on Long Island, we had an Agway that was mostly a garden supply and pet supply store. But here in upstate New York, they sell mostly feed and farm equipment. I think their feeds are very high quality.
    Rich