Thread: Turkeys

Turkeys

Has anyone raised turkeys? My brother in law in Idaho does a few every year and has had real good luck with them. I'm thinking of getting a couple next year and would like to free range them. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding breeds and hatcherys? I'm located in NY so would prefer a hatchery which is close to NY.

Re: Turkeys

Andy,
    All I know about turkeys is ~ 20minutes per pound.
    This link will ship direct to your post office.
    Turkey

I just finished butchering the last 4 of the 9 white turkeys I raised this year. I Kept them with my chickens which are in a pen 35'x
    25' then let them range while I was home. I am located in northern California, and my birds came from Ideal poultry
    from Texas. let me know what you are looking for for information and I will let you know what I did.

This was my first year raising birds.

I use to buy mine from the local hardware store.But you have to buy six at a time and get them in May.We had a tom that weighed almost 40 pounds.WOW!Now I get them from my butcher in July and I can order as many as I want or as few as I want.
    www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
    They might be able to help you.Never did business with this company.But you have to order at least 25 birds from almost any mailorder hatchery due to the fact they need the warmth of each other to keep warm. Turkeys are not hard to raise.
    Ray