Thread: christmas,new year party

christmas,new year party

Hi all

between christmas and new year my family will host a meeting for my local lions club at my home. This is not normal to have meetings at one's home but staying with us at this time is a japanese lions exchange student. So this meeting is to intoduce her to lions members, it will be relatively informal with a BBQ. my Question is this, i want to have some party games or quiz games does anyone have any suggestions. (age group 50 plus)
    made in Korea Vin

Re: christmas,new year party

Hmmm...
    Not very inventive ideas but how about Charades? Or Trivial Pursuit? Both (but particularly Charades) require fairly good command of the english language - don't know how that might or might not affect your Japanese exchange student's enjoyment of the game.

By the way - Christmas in the middle of the Summer... How do you "down under" portray Santa Claus? Wearing the same heavy red Winter suit, fur and boots and delivering the toys from a sleigh as we do in the northern hemisphere? I'd guess either way, he is supposed to live at the North Pole where it is cold but... I can see where an Australian child's mind might wonder (mine does).

Bill

Charades sounds OK.

The Japanese girl that is comeing will get a shock coming from the north island, mid winter to our mid summer. I believe they have white winters, something that I have never experienced but I imagine it is very cold. Here it could be as hot as 45c or about 110F very dry and dusty, it is worse this year than ever, it's been a drought, the dryest year since 1982 and some say the dryest ever.

By the way we do have santa in his all red heavy suit and fur along with his sleigh, seems a bit odd when you come to think of it, but it always has been that way and i don't suppose it will change. (Aussie santa in his navy blue shearers singlet holding a stubby[small bottle of beer] no i don't think so.) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Check out our santa attached.
    made in Korea Vin

daedong, This may sound boring but has turned out to be a fun and useful game.

You need to get everyone to hold a fixed position for at least the first half or more of this Name Game. For example lets say everyone is arranged in a loose circle. The first person/player Gives his name, preferably preferred nickname and a descriptor...like this... Hi, I'm Joe the dancer. Second player say he is Joe the dancer and I am George the fisherman. Third player would say, "there's Joe the dance and George the fisherman, and I am Pat the radio guy. Each successive player names all proceeding players by their name and descriptor. This continues until (rules vary) either the last person names everyone or the longer version where you continue until untill the every player has named everyone. Some coaching from other players shoiuld be tolerated when someone gets stuck.

I have done this with groups of 50 or more and even years later when accidently crossing paths with another player we both recalled each others name and descriptor. Colorful descriptors add to the fun like Mike the Magnificient Spaghetti Eater or Will who won't.

If in doubt, test it on a smaller group. It will not put your student at so much of a disadvantage AND the student will know everyones names, a plus in making them comfortable.

Sorry to hear about the drought, that can't be fun. We set a new record for drought here, three years back. I'm lucky that I have plenty of ponds and they are partially spring fed so I didn't lose any fish.

Hope Father Christmas brings you everything you need.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"