Thread: 84 lumber's pole Barn price

84 lumber\'s pole Barn price

Hi CBN'ers
    I got a quote on the deluxe 84 lumber pole barn package.
    30x40x12 includes 10' sliding door, 1 steel entry door
    and all the materials and hardware. It has 1' eaves. all painted galvanized metal and all trusses plus 8" treated sill boards (minus floor) this includes all plans also.
    The price $6920. I want overhead though and thats extra. What do you think. This is me building it also.
    Thanks, Larry

Re: 84 lumber\'s pole Barn price

If you haven't done it yet, get a quote from some other local lumberyards. Santelli, Ferrara and Peterman will all quote a pole barn package. I'm not sure which 84 you got the price at - Victor or Geneva? I've found with Geneva that their prices are usually a little high. They'll work with you, but you need to let them know you want a better price. This summer when I added onto my barn I was able to get a better price through Peterman's in Seneca Falls than 84.

It was the victor store. I cant emagine santelli being any cheaper. I work next door to a santelli in palmyra and they are buck per board more even on a 2x4 than most places. Ive never heard of the other two places. But yeah ill be looking for a better quote. Im not doing anything till spring with it any ways. Another place im waiting on is Armer Building Supply. I bought a few sheets of the metal from them for my inlaws porch roof i built on their trailor this summer. They had a good price on the metal. Thanks for the input.
    Larry

I don’t know how close you are to Bellevue Builders… but in the past they have been more than competitive with 84 Lumber…especially on pole barn kits by thousands…$$$... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

(delivery is also no charge on orders over $1500... within a 30 mile radius)

Get a set of the plans from 84 Lumber (they sell them separately)or take the materials list from your quote and take the materials list to all of the lumber companies (including the box stores like Home Depot) in your area and ask them for a quote then compare. That's what I did when I built my pole building. They were all lower than 84 lumber.

Be careful on the quality though. Alot of the cheaper prices comes from cheaper materials. I know there's no way I would buy a Home Depot or some of the other barn packages I've seen. They may be cheaper but there is usually a pretty good reason. Especially look at the steel thickness and the quality of the lumbar.

Don't know if this will help or not, but... My 30x40x10 with T-1-11 siding and trussed shingled roof w/24" eaves (aluminum soffit and fascia) and two 9x10 overhead Wayne Dalton doors ran around $6,300 for the kit, not including assembly, site work or cement, but including delivery. I bought from Wicks Lumber.

When you get these bids, also look at the quality of the company you are dealing with. Sometimes its worth a couple of hundered extra to buy from someone who won't argue with you about returns. (Acutally, on a couple of things, they didn't even take the returns, just gave me credit, sent the new stuff and said to keep the old.) I went with the wider eaves because the trusses come standard with a 2' over hang. The only extra cost was for roofing and a little soffit and fascia. You might consider the wider overhang. The taller walls make the 30x40 look massive. Using a wider overhang balances the proportions and makes the barn look somewhat smaller.

One thing I found around here is that all of the lumber yards advertise pricing on their barns, but when you go to see about them, they all want to write up a quote, which may or may not be the advertised price. By the time everybody gets done quoting, you still don't know what's going on because they are all trying to sell you something a little bit different. Best thing to do is figure out what you want and get it on paper before you go to the yards. Then you can just hand them a sheet of paper and let them do their bid. That way everybody knows all the details down to the roof pitch and grade and color of siding.

SHF

Cowboydoc and SHF: That's exactly what I was getting at. I recommend against buying a "package" or "kit" anywhere.

By presenting potential bidders with a materials list that specifies things like the thickness of the metal you can equalize out as many of the variables as possible.

Make sure that your request for quote specifies individual component prices and a "package deal" discount if the bidder wants to offer one. This will make it easier to compare the quotes.

Also ask for them to specify in the quote whether they select the lumber or you can select the lumber. You selecting can cull out lumber that may be twisted, etc but it takes extra effort on your part v.s. letting them select. If you have dealt with a company before, you may know the quality of their lumber and be comfortable in letting them select.

In my particular case, Cowboydoc, Home Depot's lumber quality is generally better than 84 lumber or any of the "local" lumber yards.

Finally, add some "extra" to the materials order to cover you for those few bad pieces or for your mis-cuts. You probably don't want to order extra 16 foot 6 x 6 poles but certainly having extra 2 x 4's, etc. around is worthwhile.

WVBill

The "adding extra" is a good idea, but hard to judge how much extra to add. This again comes back to the yard. How fast can they turn up extra materials? Kits aren't all bad, but can only be compared store to store if they're the same. Otherwise it's kinda like comparing a Sherman Tank to a Porsche. The advertised packages are usually a real "utility" level barn.

SHF

I have a new hobby-- I'm trying to learn sign language by taking my old truck out on Holiday weekends and driving real SLOW [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I wont be going with a kit now. After buying metal siding from Armor Building Supply near me for my inlaws deck roof i built on their mobile home i called them on them on a price for the metal alone for this size barn and i cant emagine the lumber for this size barn being more than half the price. I will be buying materials out right. (no kit) Thanks for all the input.
    Larry