Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Panel Box

Electrical Panel Box

Building a shop and need help deciding on electrical panel box. I want a 200 amp. indoor surface mounted box. Does anyone have any brand favorites? Cutler Hammer, Square D, G.E., Siemens, etc.....? What do you look for in a good box? I want to get one with a copper buss bar. I am working on a budget, however this is one area that I do not want to cut. I want a quality box. I know some companies have a premium line and an economy line of boxes. Just wanted to get some other peoples thoughts. Thanks in advance, JRF

Re: Electrical Panel Box

JRF,
    My recommendation would have to be Square D, whether you choose their standard line or their homeline series, I find them to be a superior product. I prefer their standard line because I have always been able to find breakers at most all hardware stores.
    If I had a dollar for every Square D panel, breaker and disconnect switch that my dad and I installed while he was in the electrical business (now retired) I could go buy me a new tractor.
    I am not trying to put down the other brands, but Square D has my vote Hands Down.

You can go to different stores and look at the different brands, but I don't find a difference between any of them that amounts to enough to be concerned. Otherwise, look at them and pick the most expensive one. That should satisfy any questions that you have. I see that HDepot carries most of the breakers for a wide variety of boxes.

Up here when buying breakers (which are kept locked up for some reason), the hardware store guy always asks "Square D or Commander?"

Mine's a Commander, but both breakers a readily available to me. Go to your favorite hardware store and find out what brands they stock.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] For the last twelve years I have looked at electrical panels with an infrared camera looking for "hot spots" that indicate trouble waiting to happen. HERE IS THE GOSPEL when it comes to circuit breaker panels........."There IS no substitute for PHYSICAL SIZE." In other words, the bigger the breaker is physically, the better it will handle current and dissipate heat. The two brands that I personally use are: GE and SqD. GE runs cooler because they are bigger, but SqD has a good "bite" on the bus and stays tight over time. HINT: be sure that your panel has a "MAIN" breaker and that the current isn't put onto the bus with just a "plug-on" regular breaker like some setups use. Two bites on the bus won't stay cool or stay tight over time. You want a panel where the main breaker is BOLTED in from the factoreeee already. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] STAY AWAY from GE disconnect switches.....either fusible or non-fusible, they are junk. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] SqD has an excellent fusible or non-fusible disconnect. SqD or ITE are my two favorites. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

That is very interesting information to hear about. Thanks.

SquareD

My (amost 30 year experience) opinion only
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Jerry

Jerry,

More insight please. Why do you prefer SqD?
    Chris

Hayseed,
    I've seen failures of SquareD......even one at my own home. I think that made 3 in 30 years. They will withstand the occasional fault to ground trip and the overcurrent trip and still function for years to come. Some of the others that I have seen will need to be replaced, they get weaker.
    I have used SquareD for years, so I guess I'm biased.
    I have always been impressed with the way SquareD has built their equipment. Whenever we contacted a factory Rep about a potential problem, they had a team of engineers looking into it. They never failed to contact me about their findings.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] As for the SqD brand of equipment.......I've noticed that SqD has resisted the "get smaller" trend a lot more than some of the other makes, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the bus work. Now.....the single-pole SqD breakers DO run a little hotter for some reason; like they will get over 100F if loaded to 80% of rated current. I've finally become comfortable with seeing those kinds of temps, because failures due to overheating are so rare. If I find trouble in a SqD panel it is usually a bad breaker and NOT THE BUS CONNECTION........which is what you DON'T want to find. I have found hot spots in really big gear that were so bad that: "If it wasn't SqD it would have let go a LONG time ago." If I had my choice and was building an industrial plant, it would be SqD Mains and Submains, Allen Bradley Motor Control Centers, and SqD disconnects. THAT, would be a system that you could turn your back on and go fishing instead of fixing it every week like so many makes and models require. SqD has a Subpanel called an I-Line that is so GOOD that it's almost hard to believe........just a superb piece of equipment. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    CJDave