Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Storage

Tool Storage

I've recently taken a new approach to my tool storage. Used to be, I kept all tools in a common location in a large cabinet. I got one of those nifty bucket pouch things a few years back so I started hauling my home repair tools in that. It got too heavy so now I've further subdivided my tools. I got a soft tool bag for electrical tools, another for picture/curtain hanging and yet another for plumbing. I've also got room now to carry supplies along with the tools. It seems to be working although there is some duplication amongst the bags. Do you think my wife will notice that I now have 5 hammers and 6 tape measures [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Tool Storage

<font color="blue">Do you think my wife will notice that I now have 5 hammers and 6 tape measures </font color>

If she ever finds out maybe some kind of analogy to the amount of shoes she has will get you out of the hot water!

My shop is in major need of organization [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . Often what should be a quick job turns into a headache because I spend more time setting up than doing the work. We're making a big push over the holidays to finish up the home renovations. Hopefully after that I can attend to all that I've neglected in the meantime.
    Hazmat

&gt;&gt;Do you think my wife will notice that I now have 5 hammers and 6 tape measures

Probably not, but with 5 hammers and 6 tape measures you have probably increased the likelihood of actually being able to find one when you need one by only 10%...better get a few more and place them at strategic locations [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

....(unless you have kids and then it really doesn't matter how many you own, you won't find any when you need one)

<font color="blue"> My shop is in major need of organization </font color>

You're at least one step ahead of me as my shop doesn't even exist yet. I had a nice shop in the finished basement of the other house but since moving we haven't yet finished the basement. My "shop" now consists of my stationary tools in one area, and more portable stuff scattered throughout. It's getting a bit frustrating and I think I'll get serious about putting up some walls over Christmas break.

One good thing has come of it though. I bought a bunch of the clear plastic flip top containers and have organized tools, supplies and such by category. More frequently used things will find a more convenient home in my new shop, but the less frequently used stuff will probably stay in the totes on a shelf. See, moving is a good thing [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

<font color="purple"> Do you think my wife will notice that I now have 5 hammers and 6 tape measures </font color>

Good approach, Rob! That's the same one I used at the townhouse in MD....a kit for each of the three floors, and another for my vehicle.

The only problem when she discovered the "system" was that the hammers (she likes to hang pictures) ended up all in the same place, the same way the cordless phone handsets do [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I think there are work shop gnomes that mess my tools and shop up. I will take a day or two and clean and organize my shop, but the minute I walk out the door the gnomes get to work. I strive for a happy medium, the ability to walk thru my shop without tripping or have anything fall on me [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]. I need to expand my shop or run the wife out. She has her shop upstairs, looms, quilting machine, several sewing machines along with other artifacts that artists are attracted to. Her shop has a foyer, thus eating up my shop space (so clientele won't have to walk thru gnomeland). Extra freezers had to go in my shop and the overflow from her shop expands into my shop space. The "artist "is always mucking around in my shop using my tools and things don't get put away properly. But I grin and put up with it cause she puts up with me!
    Going to build a new shop some day but it will not be big enough, they never are. The gnomes are out there lurking just waiting for more room to work!

<font color="purple"> the minute I walk out the door the gnomes get to work </font color>

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for the grin.

Rob,

I've gone through the same thing. Here's what I've done. I have divided specialty tools according to the trade (electrical, carpenty, plumbing, etc.) and have them in separate cabinets. I keep my 'general' tools like hammers, screwdrivers, etc., in toolboxes and on a toolbelt. The toolbelt pretty much goes everywhere as it has the real basics on it. Beyond that, I go to whatever cabinet I need and load what I want to take with me.

It took a while to accurately determine what tools needed to be put where in this system but it now works pretty well. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The only problem it hasn't addressed is getting the tool user (who, to protect his identity, shall remain unnamed [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ) to correctly predict every tool needed for the task at hand to avoid return trips to get the one I... er... HE forgot. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I keep mine in cleaned 5 gal drywall pails. I have one for my siding tools, two for drywall tools, one for my trimming tools, etc....etc....it really helps when going to a job to grab the appropriate bucket and have everything I need [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Yeah right...you always grab way more tools than you think you'll need and still forget that one item you took out last week and meant to return it to the proper bucket..... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Do you think my wife will notice that I now have 5 hammers and six tape measures </font color>

Naw, mine never has. Course, I can never find more than one of each at a time anyway. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] The good news is that she also won't notice that the hammer handles keep changing color and the tape measure is always a different size than the last time she saw it. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

SHF
    I wouldn't say I'm disorganized, but my wife would.