Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Paralyzed

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

Re: Dog Paralyzed

I hope fudge keeps improving, but remember if he doesn't (let's keep our fingers crossed), there are doogy wheelchairs and diapers. As long as the dog's happy and health otherwise, Fudge can still live a nice life. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

We brought Fudge home today. The surgeon says he is doing well, and they released him a day early. He still can't get up or walk, but is getting more movement back there. He has to stay in the carrier for 2 weeks other than taking him out for his business and short exercise periods.

Doesn't want to eat even treats, but otherwise seems OK, and we sure are glad to have him home.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Alan, that's GREAT news!!![img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm sure glad that Fudge is on the road to recovery!!!![img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Alan,
    Sure hope ya'll gave the guy big welcome home huggs.
    Animals sense so much from their "Masters". I know THEY are the Masters, we are just allowed to live in their home with them. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Glad he's doing better and you were able to bring him home.

Jerry

Now that he's home he'll purk up and recover fast. If he's like our Itsy Bitsy he'll play possum afterward. I would give our dog a command and she'd start gimp'in around long after she was well. It was funny yet very interesting to see a dog was that smart to try and gain sympathy from it. Our type dog is skittish anyways but she really played that up [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Here's hoping fudge is runnin soon! : [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Larry

More progress today. Fudge is putting weight on his hind legs, and taking some steps with little help from the harness. Starting to eat some treats, but has not eaten any dogfood since he got home. Looks like he might drop a few pounds, which is OK.

Right now Fudge is relaxed on his human Momma, on the couch. Really the first time he has really stretched out and got comfortable since his back went out. He even laid on his back for a while.

I got up before work this morning and cranked up the Skilsaw while everyone was asleep and built a ramp off the deck into the grass yard. There was about an 8" dropoff and since he's not supposed to be jumping off of stuff or going up or down stairs, I figured this would help us when we take him out.

We go back next Thursday to get the stitches removed and to get a consultation from a doggie physical therapist. The rate he is improving he'll be walking by then I think.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle

Today we are having a hard time keeping Fudge under control. He is now getting up and walking, doing his business with the proper body English, and wanting on the furniture. We have another week of strict kennel rest, but he wants to move around all the time he is out. He's also eating his dog food too.

A week ago today he had just had surgery and we didn't know if he would get better or not. Right now its looking like complete success.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle

Thats great news Alan

If he's doing that well, hopefully he won't need therapy. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

SHF

Alan-Great to hear Fudge is coming along real well. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I can't imagine what I'd do with my 160lb Newfie given the same situation. I guess that would be use #104 for the FEL [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Chuck