Thread: Cleaning Tack

Cleaning Tack

Have any of you found a product that cleans tack easily? My wife has tried several of the commercial products as well as Murphys Oil Soap but nothing seems to easily dissolve the horse sweat and grime that accumulates in the cracks and crevices, particularly on the girth.

Re: Cleaning Tack

After trying almost everything, we've found the absolute best product to be "Horseman's One Step" by Absorbine.

Cleaner and leather conditioner (uses Lanolin) in one product.

In larger pet stores, tack shops, may be at TSC or Agway.

George

Mike,

Leather Therapy is probably the best product out there. I especially like it because it is about the only one out there that REALLY eliminates mold. www.leathertherapy.com

Thanks, George and Doc. These will make great Christmas gifts. Well, decent gifts, anyway. She will probably be surprised that I was even paying attention when she complained about cleaning tack. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I just bought one of the sample packs.

Thanks for the tip on mold. Here in NW Mississippi mildew is a major problem.

Larry
    Larry

Before I treat anything I hang it on the barn door and shoot it with a pressure washer,it gets out all the sweat and hair .let it dry and then oil or whatever. Those little $99 machines from walmart work real good. On my harness(old leather) I just spray it a couple times a year with kerosene. I use neatsfoot oil on saddles.I use neatsfoot on nylon too to keep buckles from rusting.

For most of my live I used glycine bar saddle soap and neatsfoot oil. After moving to NW Mississippi from the midwest, I started having major mildew problems. On the suggestion of an earlier post, I started using Leather Therapy products. I have seen a reduction in mildew since. I think that the neatsfoot oil promotes mildew and as the leather therapy replaces the neatsfoot oil over time, the mildew is decreasing.

I start using the Leather therapy cleaner for quick touch up but still do a thorough cleaning with glycine saddle soap several times a year.

Larry
    Larry