Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will white vinegar hurt plants?

Re: Will white vinegar hurt plants?

>>I've been told that the vinegar removes all the PH in the surrounding soil. Don't know whether tha'ts completely true or not

Vinegar doesn't really remove pH, but it can lower it. pH is a measurement scale for acidity/alkalinity just like feet and inches are a measurement scale for distance.

Things are said to be acid if the pH is <7 and alkaline if the pH is >7. Since vinegar is very acid, I can see how it might be said that it "removes all the PH", but what is really happening is the pH is being lowered. This usually affects only a small area, mainly the plants which were sprayed, because soil is usually pretty well buffered and a lot of acid is required to lower the pH permanently.

The majority of plants are very happy when pH is within a point or 2 of 7. If the pH is shifted too far away from 7 the plants often die.

Yes lowering the PH is really what I meant to say. Thanks for the clarification. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    TD

Saw show on BBC promoting the use of citrus to keep cats away. Apparently they hate orange, lemon, grapefruit etc peelings.

FWIW
    Bob