Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will white vinegar hurt plants?

Re: Will white vinegar hurt plants?

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/recipes.asp

Half way down & all the way down as to vinegar's uses in the garden...

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/faq.asp

Scroll down until you get to "Cats in Beds"

It sounds like the best thing to do is dump the vinegar on the gravel where it can't hurt anything. The yard is covered with snow now and I'm afraid the cats are using the whole yard as a great big litter box now and there's no way I can cover the whole yard! It's warming up now and the snow is melting, so I'll have to watch my step. I've decided to try the Cayenne pepper in a few selected places and see how that goes. I bought some to put on the pine trees to keep the deer away anyway, so I might as well try it. Thanks for the feedback!

<font color="purple"> I never did try the mothballs but other neighbors reported it to be unsuccessful. </font color>

I had tried mothballs in MD, and had success, or at least thought I did. With cats, you never know. They might have simply decided to stop crapping in my garden for some other, totally unrelated reason [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="purple"> with see-gar butts in their mouths, meowing for a light </font color>

or shooting marbles with the mothballs [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I tried mothballs. They turned out to be useless, unless I covered every square inch with them! Tiger actually started playing with one and was pushing it around like he does with most balls. Tiger loves balls, just his thing I guess!

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

There are impulse- type water sprinklers out there on the market that have motion detectors on them. I never used one myself, but they are suppose to work well. The sprinkler is hooked up to the hose, and set in place you want to protect. When an animal walks into the sight of the motion detector, it shoots out a spray of water at the animal. I don't know the distance of the water spray. My guess would be that it would be the same as a regular inpulse water sprinkler used for you lawn. They sound like it would work well- anytime day or night, no plant kill, no chemicals. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color="purple"> There are impulse-type water sprinklers out there on the market that have motion detectors on them. </font color>

Here is one source that has been mentioned on TBN or CBN. The web site has videos showing it in action on deer, cats, and dogs. Knowing cats, however, I'd be afraid they'd figure out a way to duck under it and reach their objective [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Kittens wanting their cigars lit! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] What worked for me is putting up a 2 foot fence of chicken wire. They come right up to the field but won't jump the fence. It's lots of fencing for a larger plot but no problems after that.

SHF,

The bitter apple stuff does work well but it is really for indoor "plant" use. My dog hates the stuff but it wears off really quickly outside. As far as the vinegar questions goes - we use vinegar (I don't know if It's white or not) out here to get rid of weeds and grass. I've been told that the vinegar removes all the PH in the surrounding soil. Don't know whether tha'ts completely true or not but it has worked for us to prepare areas for pouring concrete, etc.
    TD

Danny,

Someone else told me that you could put pepper around your plants and that would keep the cats and dogs away and be completely harmless to the plants.
    TD