Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Dodge (Cummins) HO Quad Cab

2003 Dodge (Cummins) HO Quad Cab

I just bought a new Dodge diesel last week. It's a 2500, quad cab, 6 speed. So far I am pretty happy it it, rides quite well for a 3/4 ton, plenty of room and power, really shines on some of the steep hills around here. It took me a bit to get used to shifting a 6-speed diesel, it revs pretty quickly, and running lightly loaded the 6-speed seems like overkill. Will probably be just the thing when towing. I've been getting 20-21mpg in rural driving once the motor is warmed up. Just did the first oil change today, 11 quarts takes a little getting used to, transitioning from a gas engine.

I bought the rig because my job will have me running a bit over 100 miles a day, and I need something with longevity and reasonable mileage, as well as the ability to carry 4 people, or more often 2 people and 2 dogs [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I probably will be doing more hauling (building materials, top soil, etc), than heavy towing.

So, who else here drives diesels, and how do you like them?

Bri

Re: 2003 Dodge (Cummins) HO Quad Cab

HI BRIAN i own a cummins dodge 2500 also it's a 1997 i have about 190,000 miles on it have had no problem with it i love the truck i also drive alote i bought mine for pulling horse camper boat trailers great for yard work also good luck with it
    EDT

Hi Brian,

Where are you from in Idaho? I drove one of those new HO's out at the NFR a couple weeks ago and they are nice. I really like the interior of them. If they made a real crew cab I think I would seriously consider one. We all drive the Ford diesels and really like them. I do like the better mileage with the Dodge though. We tryed a few back in the 90's but they didn't hold up as well as the Ford's. The engine was great but we had alot of trouble with the rest of the trucks. From talking to other guys I think they've addressed alot of those problems except the automatic. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Good Morning Brian:
    I have a 96 2500 extended cab 4x4 dodge diesel with an automatic and 3.55's It's got 140k kilometers on it. About 90k of that has been towing a 10,000 Lb. cargo trailer with a camper in the truck box. So far I'm happy.
    Just finished a seven day 5100 kilometer trip with camper from Nova Scotia to Alberta. Haven't figured out milage yet but think it will come to +/- 17 mpg British units. A lot of hills and three days of very strong headwinds plus rain-sleet-snow-ice made for an ugly drive.
    Hope you enjoy your truck as well as I have mine.

Good Cheer
    Egon

I have an '01 Ram 2500 4x4 xcab lb. I love it. If I got another, I would probably go with a stick, and with 3.55 gears. My 4.11 and auto work great, but that diesel don't need 4.11's for most of my use. Originally I was going to get a medium 5th wheel, but that has been pushed out a bit.

My beef with the truck is the same for most new trucks... I got a 3/4 ton to haul stuff and work out of. The design engineers for all these trucks just don't use them... The tie downs in the bed are USELESS! Go ahead and try to tie a bed full of bulky stuff using those four silly hooks(although yours has nicer hooks)! Put 20-30 bales of hay on there and try to tie it down securely. No wonder there's so much stuff falling off vehicles on the freeway and highways! Sure, you can add hooks, but when they rip out of the body...

The other thing is, how about some backup lights? One of those design engineers should have to repeatedly back a truck up, at night in the rain, on a muddy trail or construction site. They should have to back out a ways too, maybe 100' or so, a bunch of times.

I like the room in my qaud cab, wht with a kid and a couple of dogs. When we go duck hunting, my buddy with the trained dog always likes my truck, 'cause we all fit inside nice and warm[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]. The truck handles and drives well. I like the interior ergonomics. I was between Ford(both previous trucks '80 and '89 were Ford 3/4t 4x4 gassers) and Dodge. Part of the Dodge was the deal; My Dad's worked at the dealer since '68 and they've known me since I was 5yrs old. The other part was the Cummins and the ergonomics. I still really like the Fords too though.

I have been tempted to switch it to a flatbed. Then they could build in big backup lights, and tie hooks every foot all the way around. Tempted, but still not just ready [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hmmm...back up lights. I just installed some halogen bulbs to replace the original in my 2002, 2500 Ram. With the tinted windows at night in the snow I could not see the ends of my driveway when trying to back in after pushing a load of snow out [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . I called the dealer and asked if they offered an aftermarket option that would address the issue, nope. I checked local/national parts stores and came up with two units. One looked like a piece of junk that clamps to the Reese hitch, the other slid into the hitch. I will try these new bulbs, but if they are not sufficient I am going to make my own setup. I sent an e-mail to Chrysler suggesting they offer high intensity back-up lights as a package option with snow plow prep or trailer tow and received a note back to write to some other address. The hell with them, let the parts stores make the extra $$$ on aftermarket I guess.
    Bayrat

hI Bayrat i installed two halogen lights on my rear bumper low profile type under the bumper put it on a toggel switch great for night backing and hooking up trailers hint don't go too expensive lost my first one to a parking guard rail as the wife was backing up becouse of the height of truck guard rail is just under bumper doh!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] also the reason i put on a toggel is so i would not blind others in parking lots when not needed EDT

We'll see how these halogens work first. I was thinking of building a removable assembly that slides into the hitch since I don't back into trailers that much at night. I have been plowing with the tractor this week since I have plenty of time so the new bulbs are still awaiting the test.
    Bayrat

Congratulations on your new truck,awesome vehicles.

Be careful with the new bulbs. I asked the guys at the shop about doing that. They said there are bulbs out there. But, they have also seen melted and/or warped tail/backup lenses from the additional heat from the hotter bulb. Those tail/backup light housings are $43 before tax. I know, I busted one a few weeks ago backin up in the rainy dark. Tagged a t-post. I'm glad it got the lense and not the body! I was being very careful backing too...

I wrote a letter to Dodge too. But... Chevy and Ford aint no better when trying to back up. Or trying to tie a load down...

My Dad has said for years that the Design Engineers should have to rotate through the shops on a yearly bassis. You know, like Interns form all the big colleges do. Make the engineer spend a week or two a year in a shop working on the systems he/she designed. Let them try to get to that oil filter of spark plug they placed behind the motor, or under the AC unit.