Thread: Faulty anti-lock brakes on Chevy truck

Faulty anti-lock brakes on Chevy truck

My wife just had an accident with her company vehicle which is a 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with anti-lock brakes. She was headed up a hill near out house traveling about 35mph on a snow covered road. She spotted a deer on the shoulder so she touched the brakes lightly and they locked up and sent the truck into a 360, ending up on it's side in a ditch. We have complained about the brakes in that vehicle and so have the other employees that have driven it. It was taken to the GM dealer in Macedon twice and they said there is nothing wrong with them [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] . A friend of ours had a late 90's S-10 blazer that did very much the same thing, dealer kept telling her it was in her head, nothing wrong with the brakes but the pedal would randomly go to the floor. When the truck was pulled back on its wheels, I was going to drive it home despite minor body damage until I stepped on the brake. Pedal went to the floor this time. I drove it up out of the ditch on its own power and pumped the brakes up to stop it. Has to be something wrong here.
    Bayrat

Re: Faulty anti-lock brakes on Chevy truck

the anti-locks in my wifes '97 suburban had a problem.
    when rolling to a stop the pedal would go to the floor and you would hear the anti-locks surging.
    it was pretty scary to drive.
    i took it apart and found nothing wrong that i could see.
    so it went into the dealer. the computer code came up for the front abs wheel sensors.
    one sensor was damaged. they told me i had to replace both left and rights at the same time due
    to resistance values or they would not work properly. then they said that they could not replace
    just the sensors but the whole front hub needed to be replaced.
    i got a written estimate to replace both front hubs for $450.00...ouch
    went to pick it up and the bill was $900.00. the guy says "we must have made a mistake"
    i said "too bad ive got an estimate".
    service manager accepted his mistake and i paid the $450.00.
    glad no one was hurt. i still do not like the anti locks.
    i would prefer to be able to control my brakes,not a computer
    stay safe

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Hi Bayrat,

I'm glad no one was hurt. I've got a 99 GMC Sierra with anti-lock brakes. I must say, I'm not very impressed with them at all. They do seem to be irratic. My last vehicle was a GMC Jimmy, and the brakes were better on that. GMC has had a lot of brake related problems in the past. I've talked to the dealer about my truck, and they could find nothing. I know I watch my following distance a lot more, and try to give myself more stopping time. Once again I'm glad that your wife wasn't hurt.

Kent

Thanks Kent, she is still sore from the accident almost two months later. The truck is gone, the business gave it to another employee to drive (without doing anything with the brakes again). My wife left there and is working for another company now but occasionally sends business to that employer. She did not want the Chevy back but part of her job entailed over the road sales, she made the decision to leave for a position in another company. She warned the new user of the vehicle to watch the brakes but he blew her off implying this problem is in her head. I know better as it happened with me when I attempted to move it after the roll-over.
    Bayrat