Thread: Wainscoting & Router Bits

Wainscoting & Router Bits

Hi, I'm a new member and looking for some advice. I'm doing the planning work on a dining room wainscoting project for my house. The original idea came from an article in the Feb. '96 Family Handyman which used painted MDF. Our design will be natural stained oak using 1/4" oak veneer plywood for the backer panels, 1x4 oak for the top rail and stiles and 1x6" oak for the baseboard. We're not sure what to use for the panels as yet. The article I mentioned uses pre-made moldings to trim the rails, stiles and panels. I would like to try routing a nice edge instead (something like the way a 6 panel door or cabinet is constructed). My questions are: 1. Will this make the project much harder? 2. Are there specific router bits and/or kits for this type of work? 3. Any advice? Thanks for any help y'all can give.

Re: Wainscoting & Router Bits

There are Rail and Stile bits just for the purpose you have in mind. Here an adaquate pair would cost about $120 dollars Canadian. They will probably require a router that has a 1/2 in collete

Run a check on router bits on the internet and you should come up with dozens of different bit forms.

Others here on the Forum have recommended "Whiteside Bits" to me. Brand name of a bit manufacturer.
    Egon

Picture of rail and stile.

Egon

Check out www.rockler.com
    Amazing cool stuff

You'll also want to use those bits in a router table rather than hand hold the router.

I have a moulding head kit for my table saw and used it to make some rail and style stock. It worked OK on the long pieces, but the short cross grain cuts we kind of scarey!

Go with the router.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

As Egon has mentioned, Whiteside makes the number 1 rated (by Fine Woodworking magazine) bits.
    www.whitesiderouterbits.com

I've also had good luck with Woodcraft's carbide bits. Sometimes they go on special for 5-10 bucks, depending on the bit. www.woodcraft.com
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

If using the router to dress these rails etc. will give you added satisfaction, then so beit.

That being said, you'll probably save a lot of time and effort by using the fabricated trim runs. You can mix some of the small diameter mouldings and come with very nice trim runs for a custom look.

Have mitre box, will travel. I too would only try this if I had a router table.
    Doug