Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paint Sprayer Recommendation?

Re: Gravity Feed or Siphon??

Just be sure there is nobody in them. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Painted my house last year with a pressurized cup sprayer hooked to my air compresser. It did a great job but I still had to thin the paint quite a bit and the cup only held about a quart of paint. Still it did a better job than a Wagner. The paint comes out of the gun at a higher velocity and penetrates the small cracks in the wood better. In other words I did not have to go back over with a brush or roller. It cost about $40 at Sears.

The latest issue of Fine Woodworking has an article on paint sprayers. Looks pretty good, I haven't read it yet. One difference I noticed is that the gravity will spray higher viscosity materials than the siphon. Anyway might check that article out.

Gary

Some of the "pressurized cup" sprayers have a gallon can accessory. You place a gallon can in a pressurized vessel and have a length of hose that extends to the paint gun. It seems like that would be the ideal set up for house painting. I think I saw it on Campbell Hausfields web site.

House paint? I would suggest airless for that. Look around for a refurbished unit such cambell hausfield. I have painted several buildings with one, works nice for latex paints. Don't have to thin unless you are spraying block filler or some really heavy bodied material. The better airless units will spray the really heavy stuff without thinning, but those get expensive quick.

I think of a spray gun for a fine finish such as vehicles, furniture, etc. The Fine Woodworking article talks about viscosity cups and what size nozzels will spray what materials based on how many seconds it takes to drain from the viscosity cup.

Gary